Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You and your Drummer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowblues, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Since the bass and the drums are key to the structure of most songs, and the relationship between the two instraments is importand to the overall song, I was wondering how YOUR relationship is with the ape holding the sticks. I get along great with my drummer as he is one of my better friends and I feel it helps to groove better.

Try to end with a good drummer joke. I'll start with the old one and get it out of the way:

How do you tell if the stage is level? Drummer is drooling from both sides of the mouth.

2. I love that joke, but my drummer doesn't get it.

3. My drummer happens to be one of my best friends. We get along great. Sorry no drummer joke though. But if there's one thing that bugs me it's playing with a drummer that isn't very good. My ebest friend is amazing so he's kinda my refuge. But this one guy got me in a band that plays stuff like Creed and....well lots of Creed and a little Blink 182 on the side. The one thing that bugs me is when we pick songs and the drummer says "That one is too hard. I can't play that." So we couldn't play Dammit. :mad:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Me and my drummer got a pretty good connection. I'd say it comes from a simmilar idea of the music we want to play.

How do you get a drummer to get of the porch?
    Pay him for the pizza.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Both my guitarist and myself have a good working relationship with our drummer.

He never drinks too much, is always there, keeps perfect time, and doesn't talk back.

The downside is that he eats batteries like crazy if we forget his power adapter!

:D

6. My drummer agreed to learn the drums so that we could have a band, so I've taken a patient approach to the guy, even during the months of playing the same beat for every song. He's progressing now, and he is one of my best mates, so I get on with him well.

How do you know if there's a drummer at your door?
    The knocking gets louder and faster, and he doesn't know when to come in.

7. focussed on the music, not on eachother.

( e.g. focus on the music, and not on the new t-shirt your drummer is wearing )

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i love mine... cant imagine me with someone else...

should i marry him?

:eek:

:D:D

just kidding!

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I get along great with my drummer. We can sit there and talk about music forever. We are interested in the same musicians (Carter Beauford, Vic Wooten, etc) so that probably helps. The best thing about my drummer is he's very good at listening to what other people are playing.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Theorem has been together for 8 years. We've had 3 different singers since thet time but the core of the band has been the same. I feel REALLY lucky playing w/the 3 other guys that I'm playing with. We're like family & that's VERY important.

Our drummer is great. He's not a technichal wisard or anyhing like that. He's very solid. Usually plays alot of straight beats & it's easy for me to play alot of the fills that I do.

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've been playing with my drummer for six years through two bands... You tend to get pretty tight after a while. He is kind of a flake though... there've been more than a few gigs where I haven't been too sure that he was going to show on time... that's always a little nerve racking... Usually after the first few songs, I'm settled down enough to sit back and enjoy...

All my drummer jokes have been taken already :(

-robert

12. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Of all the people in the band the best relationship is probablly between me and the drummer. We are into the same music, have alot of the same political and religious beliefs, have the same luck with girls :)( ) and both think the same thing about the rythm guitarist/singer. (sucks).

I hoping to get a better relationship w/ our second percussionist pretty soon though (beautiful girl). ;)

13. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Well....I am a new bassist, and do not have a band but my brother is a drummer and we jam together all of the time...he is a pretty technical drummer, but when we get into a groove, it feels great....look for us in the top ten soon! Does anyone know a good Guitarist?

14. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I play with two or three drummers at church,they trade off.The oldest one used to play in a band called the Rats that once opened for the Stones back in the 60's.I know that means nothing,but I think it's cool.

He's very gifted,reads music and plays "Tymps" in our orchestra when they're called for.His wife sings in the choir an is an excellent singer.But I have another gig where I play acoustic guitar and lead singing while a guitarist friend plays bass.It's a long story why we do it that way.But I can't get my drummer to come to that gig and back me up.I think it has to do with the fact that he and his wife only gig together.I can't blame them,they're both wonderful folks.So while I'm waiting for a drummer,we just use a Jam station as a drum machine.

15. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Ya i know most drummers are flakes and at the site of a better band they will jump at the first chance but me and my new drummer are great friends!! In fact he is about half the life of our band....

example....during a part of Bro Hymn by pennywise w/ no drums or bass he climbed up ontop of his set and dived into my arms....really cool lookin:D but....the last few drummers i have had suck really bad so....but ok...im done

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i have a great relationship with the drummer of the ensamble im in now...its usually a midi track of the drum line for a song we do, we dont have a live drummer yet. :(

sometimes i dont even get the luxury of a drum track so i have to lay it all down on my own

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LMAO!!! :D

18. Well, let's see...
    The drummers in my first band are both great guys. None of us are really particularly interested in the same kind of music, with the exception of Collective Soul.
    Anyway, they both keep solid time, and...are...well...better than almost everyone else in my grade that thinks they can play drums because they play that "Percussion Freaks" game. :p
    But yeah, they're both great and keep good time and I can lock in with both of 'em fine, and that's what really counts, right? :D

The drummer in my new band...
    Well...that guy's amazing. Technically proficient, and a great musician. He plays piano, guitar, bass, bassoon, drums...erm...there could be a couple other instruments I'm leaving out.
    He's a junior, though, so our class times are all over the place in relation to each other, so I don't get to talk to him too much during school. But he's interested in almost all the music I am, and then some. He's better than both the other guys in my other band, and I can lock in with him better than I can with them. :D

19. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I have a love/hate relationship with my drummer. Either hes the coolest guy in the world, or the biggest pr!ck you can imagine. Sort of a cheapskate, and rather lazy about promotion, but he's awesomely creative, and thats what matters.

?: What do you do if theres a bleeding drummer on your front lawn?

!: Stop smiling and shoot again.

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My current drummer is one of my good friends from childhood, and we get along great. Very good drummer too.

Q: What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

A: Homeless.