1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You are too damm loud.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Jul 10, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Met up with a rock n roll guitarist/singer who wanted to do some club dates. We did a very loud set of his songs at a jam. Not interested in getting my eardrums ruined. Will ask for lower volume or will decline the work. I guess I could use plugs but that sucks for what is a power trio.

Another recent jam, crappy guitarist waaaay too loud. Not in tune. Asked him to turn down before we started - he ignored me. First number he drowned out my bass. I couldn't tell what I was playing. I asked him again to turn down and he said no. I unplugged and walked off the stage. Explained to the host who got him another him another bassist then pulled him after the next song. I played most of the rest of the night.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    grumpyoldman.

Lol whut?

Seriously, with you 100%.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

If you don’t use hearing protection it’s your own ignorant fault for damaging your hearing.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I've been in bands where proper hearing protection was inadequate. I even doubled up on it for one band then quit when it wasn't enough.

zon6c-f, Pbassmanca, JaseyT and 7 others like this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I hate wearing ear plugs, but the only time I usually play without them is very low volume jazz combo gigs where the band is providing background music for dinner or cocktails. If it's a big room where we can play out, I often wind up putting in ear plugs for those gigs too.

If you think playing with ear plugs suck....try mixing with ear plugs. Luckily most of my work as an audio tech was in fairly large venues and the audience was often older than I am. So low volume was highly desirable.

6. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I’ve never played with a too-loud guitarist that was particularly good.

7. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My ear protection is to leave the room. I should have told the guitarist he was playing so loud he would never miss me..

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That would have prevented me from doing most jobs. I wear ear plugs when I ride my motorcycles and ear muff protectors when using power tools, lawn equipment, hammers, etc. I have constant tinnitus at multiple frequencies, but above average hearing for my age.

J-Bassomatic, bkbirge, JRA and 5 others like this.
  9. Beendown139

Beendown139

Jul 4, 2018
    OK, gotta weigh in on this one. I'm 62, been playing since i was 17, gigging since 18. I am now what's commonly referred to as "deaf as a post". I can hear bass notes fine, but voices and other sundry everyday sounds are muffled and people get tired of me telling the to speak up. BTW, paradoxically, my ears have gotten more sensitive to loud noise, to the the point where i have to wear ear plugs for any moderately loud noise - lawnmower, shop noise, etc. I attribute this to years of loud, heavy handed drummers, my big bass stack, guitar players with egos and so . Don't let this happen to you. Turn down or wear ear protection. You can thank me later...

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Yep...my hearing is still pretty decent, but short exposure to loud noise and the tinnitus come on like crazy and my hearing shifts for a few days. From what I understanding, tinnitus is caused when the cilia is bent over from high SPL. When the cilia breaks, the tinnitus stops, but you can no longer hear the frequency that cilia was tuned to. I am happy to have a bunch of tinnitus because it means I can still hear all of those frequencies.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I will NOT play with people who play too loud - don't care who it is. I like my eardrums, and they like me.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have custom molded ear plugs that only reduce sound by 9 dB, as the commercial ones starting at 15 dB take too much nuance out of the music. That's worked out nicely, as I don't play in loud bands.

13. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA

And what's so excellent about Huey telling that to Marty is, in real life, Huey's band was told exactly that at an audition during their early career. That's what prompted the creation of that scene in Back to the Future.

OP: it sounds like that guitarist you described in your post was already a legend in his own mind.

14. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    THIS.

Pbassmanca and GlennRH like this.
  15. I am too damn old. But, not too loud.

StraffordMike and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. When I started playing more heavy metal about 18 years ago, I got the custom molded plugs with changeable filters.
    I use the -25 db filters most of the time, however, I also use the -10 db filters when I play with other bands that are not so loud.
    I also get new ones every couple years because new ones fit so much better and sound fantastic.

leto, Engle and GlennRH like this.
  17. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    The best bands l played in kept resonable stage volume. The FOH may have turned it up, but we could talk at a normal level on stage. A side effect was getting plenty of gigs.

18. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Well... Pete Townshend, Eddie Van Halen, and SRV are/were famously loud. I'm guessing they'd make the 'too loud' threshold.

Pbassmanca and AaronVonRock like this.
  19. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Oh yeah, there was that time I jammed with Eddie Van Halen.

Dee-man, bkbirge, Herrick and 5 others like this.
  20. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Entwhistle was stone deaf for years before he passed.

Pbassmanca and Groove Doctor like this.