1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You are too damm loud.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Jul 10, 2018.

1. If it's too loud...

I use earplugs all the time now. I play loud music. I'm in a loud band, I've always been in loud bands, I've not always used earplugs. My hearing is still pretty decent, but my right ear has suffered for sure. Stupid cymbals.

IamGroot likes this.
  2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I heard costco prices are Much lower, but they dont carry the higher powered models

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The info I have is that Costco models are normally about a year behind the latest on the market. That's OK with me.

4. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH

Fretless1!, RoadRanger and IamGroot like this.
  5. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I can't speak for Eddie Van Halen and SRV is dead, but both Townshend and Daltrey are almost completely deaf. Roger Daltrey said in an interview a few months ago that he has to rely on lip-reading to understand people.

IamGroot likes this.
  6. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Guitarist mindset:
    "If I can hear the bass then no one can hear me"

OK pal, if its a volume war you want, I have 500 watts of unbridled enthusiasm that says go for it

Omega Monkey and Das Jugghead like this.
  7. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Yeah...tell that to the two overly gained out and distorted guitarist who have ego problems and the drummer who just likes to bang and crash the symbols.

8. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Acoustic drumset = me wearing earplugs. You could probably get away without plugs in a jazz combo or something. For rock and metal, it just ain't happening, there is a certainly loudness the drummer can't get below.
    Can't play Metallica with brushes. And the rest of the band adjusts to the drummer.

We try to rehearse at reasonable levels, my 6505 halfstack is set to 1.5 on the master volume. I still use plugs, because the crash and snare will screw up my ears.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  9. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Most of the gigs I play come with FOH support, kick drum included, regardless of genre.

10. I think it’s interesting when I read these types of post. Obviously I realize it can be a different situation but a band being too loud is often relative opinion. For example if someone was to say a bass player needs to downsize to a 110 cab. I’m sorry they ain’t too loud, you’re just flat out wrong. But I’ve seen some bands that were ridiculous. I’ve noticed around here bands have turned down the volume significantly. I’m guessing a lot of it is nationals bands that come through who tour with in ear setups and axe fx, kemper, helix stuff for guitars are setting the new trend of lower stage volume. In the early 2000s it wasn’t uncommon for many bands around here to have two Guitar players playing through 100w tube amps and 412 cabs, some even had two guitarist who each had two 412 I remember seeing bass players that hauled two 810 cabs to every gig. That’s what the national acts were doing at the time so that’s what many local bands thought was needed. That’s also a big part of why I absolutely refused to play in a band with two guitar players for many years. I had no interest in having a crazy loud guitar amp on my side of the stage. Now our lead guitar player does have an amp (Mesa boogie triple rec with two celestion loaded 212 avatar cabs) that can potentially be insanely loud. But he’s on the other side of the stage so I’ll just take him out of my monitor if he’s too loud and he also knows where the volume knob is and is reasonable. His amp doesn’t sound optimal at rehearsal turned down so much but it’s rehearsal If were recording it, we aren’t recording a professional product. Our singer also plays guitar on more and more of our newer songs lately. His amp is on my side of the stage. But here’s the thing. He uses a fender 112 combo. Things have changed. Back in the day in order to have a guitar amp designed for metal you’re only real option was a 100w tube amp and a 412 cab. These days there are tons of smaller amps designed to have that pushed tone without being stupid loud. I’m actually gonna sell one of my Ampeg cabs to help fund another bass because I haven’t used it at all lately. Last couple times I brought both I was asked to lower my stage volume to the point where I was like “I can get this much volume out of one cab so why bother bring two.” I’ve just been so busy lately I haven’t gotten around to it.

Seriously though here’s some footage from our last show. Singer is playing through a fender 112 lol.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Fretless1! likes this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I see it as a personal choice. As a vocalist I can't use ear plugs and still be effective. If the stage volume is too loud and as band we aren't willing to deal with that issue I'm out.

In the far distant past bands needed to be loud on stage when the PA was only handling vocals. That's no longer the case so IMHO there's no need to play at ear splitting volume.

12. SparkyLB

SparkyLB

Jun 6, 2018
    FWIW, my real job is at a nuclear facility as an electrician (which is why I'm such a fantastic bassist. .. )

But at the nuke, there's a rarely-used piece of equipment called the MSIV. It's the Main Steam Isolation Valve. When they don't want the steam to spin the turbines to make electricity, they divert it through the MSIV. To say it's loud would be like saying the loudest R'nR band in history has their amps on "1" during performances.

Double hearing protection is required when the MSIV is on "blow" mode.

The statement "proper hearing protection was inadequate" means to me that you're not aware of your options. Compressible, "in the canal" protection will pretty much covers everything. The double protection I refer to means one wears muffs ON TOP of that.

But I stray from the point. If the band is just too damn loud, and a member, or all of them, suggest YOU are the one being unreasonable--then RUN. Find another band who can justify their worth without volume. Bob Dylan did it, and conventional wisdom suggests that to be heard, WHISPER.

Screw those guys, brother. Find a better, more skilled group to work with. Clearly they're compensating for lack of skill with increased volume. But I get the feeling you already knew that.

IamGroot likes this.
  13. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I would assume a circus performer would perform for their audience rather than play with themselves. On stage, no less.

14. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Yes. So what? FOH support isn't going to fix bad dynamics, just reinforce them, and maybe compensate with compression. There is a limit to how much gain you can add sometimes if someone plays entremely light without introduction other noise into the equation.

btw, foh support without kick support isn't foh support in my opinion.

15. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    I'm kind of with you on this. I've never played in a situation where a 110 or 112 would be loud enough that I wouldn't be buried unless I roll off a lot of low end, to save the speaker.

Having said that, they cymbal noise in your video is too loud relative to everything else in my opinion, but most of that is stage wash.

16. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    I used to feel the same way, then my 40 something aged DB teacher complained about bad hearing in his “ride cymbal ear,” and hi-fi earplugs it has been since, at the very least in one ear. Etymotics were my first good ones for low volume, once I found earasers it’s been those ever since.

17. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    No, it's not going to fix bad dynamics, but I couldn't care less, because I'm not playing with a drummer like that (as I mentioned earlier). Extraneous noise can be contained; a drummer can also use triggers. I never said FOH is without kick, not sure where you got that from. If you choose to play with uncontrollable drummer, that's your choice, I choose not to.

18. Our drummer is pretty loud but I’m sure the location of the person filming and the location PA didn’t help that either. In this venue the stage is really wide and the pa is way off to the side with the tops hanging from the ceiling. That is a downside to running lower stage volume imo. It’s really bad when bands use in ears if you stand front row cause All you’ll hear is drums if they don’t have the drums behind the “glass” Here’s a picture of that stage before that show. There really do need to throw a sub or two in the center and throw some front fills on them. But if you’re farther back from the stage that venues PA sounds awesome imo.
    B259DF93-12EE-49C4-87DA-3D5E3590113B.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  19. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    "Most of the gigs I play come with FOH support, kick drum included, regardless of genre"

I got that from this sentence.

There is a limit to noise reduction. I've mixed guys who played lightly enough that they sucked the life out of the gig.

20. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Wait! You like to play loud so you wear earplugs so it doesn't sound like your playing loud?