1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You are too damm loud.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Most of my hearing dame is work related, some from music, well not until those too loud bands I suffered through.

I'm afraid that may not be enough................

I was using what should have been more than adequate, except for the last band that the average rehearsal levels were around 115dB. Those guys were too drunk and high to realize just how loud they were. :rollno:

2. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    it still feels loud which i dig and i also dig the tone i get from running my rig hotter.

3. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    For sure, that's why I said it (cymbals) are mostly stage wash. A lot of people that close don't care though. I'd put fills on top those side-stacks subs for the people that close if needed. Looks like the tops aren't line arrays. Better coverage upfront and with line arrays might help.

4. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Great, well I guess that sucks for them. I’ve had better luck myself.

5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I wind up sitting outside at a lot of clubs due to live music volume
    "If the band is just too damn loud, and a member, or all of them, suggest YOU are the one being unreasonable--then RUN."

Yep.

MSIV= glorified relief valve. I was in oil/gas/petrochemical. We put noise control trim on our remote operated emergency steam letdown valves, but I have been in the area where 650# steam RV's lifted and the noise is awesome, as you said. Fresh out of engineering school, I worked in a plant with 3 large steam driven compressors (largest =50,000 Hp.) A fellow TB actually worked on revamp design for this equipment. When you stood on the compressor deck, the noise actually loosened the mucus in your chest, which would no doubt please some heavy metal fans. Double muff ear protection. Radio communication on the deck was impossible.

SparkyLB and Rock Salad like this.
  6. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Plastic earplugs with low attenuation numbers and some kind of port make singing much easier. I sing at 100% of my gigs, and lead at the vast majority. It isn’t instant but I’m used to it by now. I will say that any plug that’s completely sealed off is not useful for a singer, including all custom molded plugs I’m aware of. Forget any foam plugs (although I do like foam inserts for iem’s). Brands that fit my needs are Earasers, Eargasm, Etymotic, and EarPeace, all have strengths and weaknesses.

7. There may be product made that are more effective than others but IMHO they're use is only dealing with the symptoms not the cause. To me deafening stage volume isn't necessary for most bands.

Still it's good that you should mention brands that are more effective. :thumbsup:

8. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Hey, a drummer than can funk at low volumes.....

There is hope.....

9. Das Jugghead

Das Jugghead

Oct 28, 2015
    Indiana
    ^^^THIS^^^

One of the bands I play in has two ridiculously loud guitarists who both complain that they cannot hear themselves. Oddly enough when I ask they are unable to tell me what parts I am playing. I have never heard the singer and not even sure he can sing or that he is any good. All I hear are the guitars and the drums. There were times when I turned my volume knob off and essentially played on mute - unnoticed by either guitarist. Not sure why I am even in the band anymore and this thread has made that point for me. Looks like it is time for me to move on with my other bands/projects.

For the record my bass rig is two 600 watt cabinets and I always wear earplugs.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Pendulous, Jeff Scott and IamGroot like this.
  10. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    You're thinking of the music being quieter than the conversation. That's not what we're talking about. The point is that if the band is a reasonable volume and properly mixed and balanced across the frequency spectrum, they can be pretty "loud" but still leave "space" for conversations or other sounds.

Jeff Scott, Das Jugghead and IamGroot like this.
  11. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks. I think you could get the tone your looking for with a lighter amp. But I guess that sensation of raw power is not easily duplicated. Got it.

12. Beendown139

Beendown139

Jul 4, 2018
    Well - hearing loss is hearing loss, no matter how you slice it. When you're young and dumb, ain't nobody gonna be able to tell ya nothin. Lotsa old timers told me I was gonna go deaf playing that loud, but did i listen?
    BTW, these days I work in a metal fabrication shop and i can't believe all of the dudes i see running grinders or band saws or whatever with no ear protection. Or the guys doing welding with only sun glasses on, short sleeves, sometimes no gloves. ***?

The point is, if you're gonna make the decision to do stupid stuff to your body (such as exposing yourself to excessive sound levels) then you're gonna hafta live with the consequences, like i am.

Now would somebody please answer the phone, it's been ringing for hours....

Jeff Scott likes this.
  13. Beendown139

Beendown139

Jul 4, 2018
    OBTW, looks like i triggered the profanity filter with that last post. Sorry about that, chief! I've been away for a while. I used to belong to forums (which no longer exist, apparently) where the discourse was a little more.....ribald.
    Sure is sqeaky clean in here! I'll try to conduct myself a little more appropriately.

Rock Salad likes this.
  14. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Why not just put a number on it? Many venues just have a db limit, which I've always complied with. No subjectivity. Much better than words like "reasonable" vs "loud". Leaving space for conversions is hard to do. Its right in the midrange where a lot is going on already.

"The FOH may have turned it up, but we could talk at a normal level on stage" - from an earlier post, and the reason why I had the impression that I did.

But whatever, I just disagree, and that's ok. I'm not asking for every show to be 110 db, but anything under 100 isn't loud in my opinion. Having said that I'd mix or play to what a venue wants.

15. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Last night rehearsal, lead guitarist had his combo on a stand pointed right at the singer's head instead of his own then started complaining he couldn't hear himself and that the singer wouldn't let him turn up :crying:. Explanation was he was afraid if he pointed it at himself others might not hear him. D'oh - he's miked and in the monitors. Anyways we convinced him to point it at himself and problem solved - at least until next time :dead:.

16. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Dude, I'm playing in bars, its enough. I rarely push volume past 4-5 on the amp and always leave headroom on the bass volume should I need it

17. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    A real drummer can - somewhat rare and usually spent time at Berklee or Hartford Conservatory or some such.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  18. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Having worked at a foundry, used a chainsaw, etc I find all y'all's opinion that a workplace shouldn't need hearing protection :wideyed: :roflmao:. And someone mentioned 90 db as the max safe level - it's 85 db.

19. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    Played in a band for two years which the guitarist ran through a 100 watt Marshall + 412 AND the monitor! Said he couldn't hear himself without the monitor. At one gig I convinced him to put his cab on a stand at ear level. After the first set he put it back on the stage. Said "it's blowing my head off". Yeah, now you know how the rest of us feel.

20. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    I hope to grow up to be just like him.:smug: