Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You big meanies!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basegetar, Mar 11, 2002.

1. I'd just like to say that I think new members are treated rather unfairly. Sure they may ask questions that have been asked, but that's because they haven't been here. More often than not I see new members greeted with "DO A SEARCH! :mad: "... I don't think they even know what that means. Plus it's hard to tell who's new anymore now that they've ditched the # of posts counter, so what if it became a big stupid competition and had freebies, I found it kind of useful.

So in conclusion I'd like to welcome all new members. I think you'll have fun around here. Don't let all these jerks get to you. I've seen quite a few people post, get insulted by a lot of people, then leave. Don't let people get to you, it's just message boards. It's a great place once you get in your groove Have fun, be nice to your fellow talkbassers, and in case of a water crash landing, JT's basses can be used as a flotation device. ;) Have a nice day!

2. You actually do make a good point. When someone asks something like "MIM compared to MIA" in the basses forum, I'd usually say something like

"MIM's are usually cheaper in quality and price, but you can upgrade themand make a killer bass. There have been more extensive discussions on this before, use the search."

Its a more polite way of saying "Stop wasting our bandwidth."

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I will say that I have seen a TON of basic questions as of late. Questions that have to have aat least a dozen other long threads addressing them.

I haven't noticed anyone being mean. I do think everyone should be encouraged to search if for no other reason than they'll ultimately get more information.

Lately, I have found that I read only about 1 in 20 threads posted for this very reason. But I wouldn't call myself a meanie.

Chas

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Then what about the registration date?

<------ Look. It's still there.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

The post counts are still public domain, they're just in the profiles now. While I do occasionally see newbies get treated in a somewhat gruff manner, what I see far more often is rude newbies who don't bother to lurk and get the feel of the place before posting. I've moved MANY threads from DB to the corresponding BG forum because of this, and just recently there has been an influx of "DoEs NeBoDy LiKe BlInK 182 AnD oFfSpRiNg BsIdEs Me?" type posts in forums like BASSES and AMPS. Clearly, people who post in this manner just don't give a ****, and as far as I'm concerned, if people don't care enough to figure out where to post their stuff, they deserve a little ribbing for it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and all...

6. Newbies...

It's what's for dinner.

Mike J.

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I think rather than someone saying "DO A SEARCH" i think it would be nice if they posted a link,and then told them all about the search feature.

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I usually greet them and welcome them to TB before I tell them to DO A SEARCH.
    Doc

9. i guess i could be consider new...

I dont think i've seen anyone being rude (newbies and older memebers), some are clueless.. they're here to get help because they like basses and either want to start or need advise..

I think there are a lot of people like me who dont post for a few weeks and just look around and learn how TB works..

i encourage all newbies to do that, not only is it the best way to avoid sound stupid but a lot of older members wont get as pissed at all newbies..

.. stereotypes...

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    BAH! Everyone ignores me.

You can't ignore me forever I tells ya! :D

yeah... uhh... doing searches is good??

11. Geez S, this topic has come up a hundred times, had you done a search you would have known.:eek:

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, let me say ...

1. welcome to talkbass, pleased to meet you. :D

2. thank you for trying to figure out how things work around here before posting. that effort is appreciated by those of us responsible for cleaning up around here.

3. if you, or anyone else, ever has any questions about how things run around here, or what's appropriate, or just some bass related questions, let me encourage you to pm me or any of the other mods. we all volunteer here because we want to help. we may come across as a bit rough on some of the lazy folks, but we really do this only because we like helping folks out.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    LOL :D

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your point is well taken, but getting "do a search" responses isn't unique to TB by any means.

If there was some kind of "try a search first" advisement that people couldn't avoid reading when they register, it would serve everyone better.

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Having been here just a few months myself, I'd like to weigh in on this one:

When I first came here and made a few posts, I did think some people were "mean". One should be able to realize, as I soon did (that is, if they aren't too sensitive and get offended too easily), that they are JUST JOKING. Most of the time, it's done in order to help make a point.

I don't blame mods for being annoyed, because it's absolutely true that a lot of stuff is posted in the wrong place.

It's just like anywhere else - new job, new band, etc. - if you're new, you can expect to take a little teasing now and then until you get the hang of things. Those who can't take it, wash out.

16. I agree. I was invited here by a bud, Davy0. However, if I was just surfing by and read how newbies were being treated here by some members, I would have just surfed my merry way outta here.

There are LOTS of cool people here once one stays for a bit. But I say poopie to the impatient grumps that chase our newbies away.

Boards like this and practical experience gained from applying the suggestions is what turns newbies into educated experts.

I am new to these boards myself and my expertise is more technical than musical (I was a pro consumer electronics tech before going into sales/marketing), but I will never turn a newbie away and I am happy to answer what questions I can.

Welcome all newcomers, I am Scorpio Rising and I am at your service! :D

17. I'm glad a lot of people are trying to be nice to newbies. We are so use to ripping on each other and thinking it as no big thing, but new people can't tell a joke from an insult. I know it's hard to be nice to someone after they ask, "Whut bass duz Mark HoPPus frum BlinK 182 plaY?!" But with time, there may be hope for these young idiots ;) As easy as it is to say, "DO A SEARCH" and just leaving it as that. You could elaborate a little more and say, "Hi and welcome to talkbass, This subject has been discussed before on talkbass so if you do a search of the site I'm sure you'll find the answer to your question." And if you want you can go the extra distance and answer there question. I guess I just have a soft spot in my heart for all bassists, even the Hoppusaholics. We all go through our phases of music. For awhile, I wanted to learn every Manson bassline there was, I thought Twiggy was hot ****, but then I listened to some Primus and urinated in my pants instantly. Ever since then I've been paying more attention to the bass. Now whereas most people listen to music and think, wow cool guitar riff. I think, hmmm what's the bassist doing. It's kinda sick, but great. Enough ramblings, Newbies, I love ya'll and hope you grow up to be big famous rock stars with trillions of dollars and more fans that you can shake a bass at.

18. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    "Lighten up Francis."

19. Nobody calls me francis, call me francis again and I'll kill ya!

20. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    lol:D