You can call me an idiot if you want.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vincentpghpa, May 6, 2004.

1. vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    I am so new to the bass that I am just going with cheapest when I buy them later today. My bass has been sitting for about 5 years so I am sure the ones I replace it with will be better.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    not idiot, just newbie. welcome.
  3. Agreed. You're not an idiot. Just because the strings you're putting on your bass aren't expensive doesn't necessarily mean that they're no good. I use D'addarios exclusively, and they're fairly inexpensive. That doesn't matter to me, because I like them and they work for me.
  4. vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    an strings sit in the original package and still be usefull? I have had a few sets of strings sitting for quite some time. (almost 5 years) never touched but cheapies.
    Are they still good? It' might save me a couple bucks.
  5. Yeah they're still good! Use them up, even if it's only for a month, get some use out of them.

And cheap strings have their place, I picked up a couple sets of Epiphone's for $7.50 a pack when a local music shop was trimming their stock.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Steempy, you IDIOT!!!

It's pretty hard to buy a bad string, really. There's only 5 or 6 actual string manufacturers in the entire world anyway; the rest are all from out sourcing, ala Samick.
  7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I go back and forth on strings, both expensive and cheap. There's nothing wrong with using the cheapies, especially if you play a lot and need to change frequently. I found the Carvin strings to be a very good value. They had a decent life, and I didn't feel all that bad to change them a lot quicker than normal because the price was so affordable.
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Just kdding). :)

You can get some great deals on strings on eBay. I have no idea whether the strings are any good, but they sure are cheap. Ten sets for 50 bucks? Can't beat that!