1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You can only afford one bass. You love one you thought you'd hate. Do you buy it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassaga, Feb 13, 2020.

1. It's true love. Buy it.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. It's infatuation and novelty. Get a Fender. Can't go wrong with a Fender.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Give it another week, see how you feel then.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Breathe deep, eat a carrot, then go back to the store and try again.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Went to my local music store this evening, with determination in my heart. Ready to buy. Not precisely sure what I'll buy, but it is GO time. No more researching and considering and listening to demos and planning and hunting, I'm'a buy a doggone bass.

After several years, several intermediary basses, and a few paradigm shifts, I've concluded that what I really want is a 5-string Precision, but since the only current production option is a $1600 MIA Fender, well... I guess maybe I can do 4-strings for now. All I know for sure is I don't have any use for Jazz tones, and the Dean Edge Pro that catches my eye every time I go in has the same pickups as my old Schecter, and that didn't have any tones for me either. So I can rule those out. That's enough info to go in and not end up with something I'll regret, I figure.

After two hours in that shop, guess what, I didn't care for the P bass at all, the Jazz basses all sounded amazing, and the Dean has the most gorgeous tones I've ever hoped for. :sour: Soooooo heck. "Everything you know is wrong" basically.

Meanwhile, I was also shocked that the Dean was the first bass I've ever grabbed and thought, "Oh dang, that neck!" I've never understood the fascination with neck shapes and 'playability' because they all feel the same to me, except this one it turns out. Felt amazing. Sounds amazing. Looks great. Right at the price point I was planning to spend. It's even got the monorail bridge I love so much.

I have to figure then that it's the perfect option, except I went in today specifically not meaning to buy it, and to buy a very different P bass instead. Then everything I thought I believed turned out dead wrong, which seems like the wrong time to make a long term commitment. And who the heck is Dean anyway? So buying the perfect option is a terrible idea? Yeesh...

By this time my head is spinning and the store is closing, so I head out in order to spend the night with moooore demo videos and indecision before going back to the dragon's den tomorrow. I'm just tired of waiting and planning, I've been aching to buy a brand new, quality, desirable bass and shut down all my endless research and play and play and play and actually get good at this stuff, so I'd made a soft commitment to buy a bass this week, and the week is nearly over, so I don't wanna put it off any more, but I don't wanna make a bad decision, but I know there's almost no such thing as a bad bass nowadays so it hardly matters, but it really does because this is the bass I'll play for years to come that my kids will grow up seeing their dad with so I can't choose a lame one, but I'm tired of indecision and just wanna buy something, and for heck's sake why is this so hard.

There's the story. Typed it out to try to organize my thoughts, and thought I'd drop it here on Talkbass to see if anybody had anything helpful to say.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    What's your budget?

What nut width are you most comfortable with?

How about a PJ?

How about buying a used bass and flipping it if you don't like it?

IMO, think about if you had done your testing blindfolded? Which one would you choose?

What type of music, gigs and venues will you be playing?

Which rig are you using?

3. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    This is right inside it. Same price as the Player Precision that I was intending to buy, or the Sire P7 I hadn't quite ruled out. Wife and I agree that I could go up to $1000 if I'm really sure about what I'm buying, but clearly that certainty evades me, so this $700 level feels good.

Like necks, that's something I've never noticed. I played a half dozen basses last night, never even occurred to me that they were all different nut widths. I do prefer tighter string spacing at the bridge, though, which is one reason I go for fivers.

The bridge pickup on a Jazz isn't especially appealing to me, so I'd just as soon do a straight precision. But since those are rare, and 5 string PJs are not so rare, I can go with this. Still, I tried one last night and found it as surprisingly unfulfilling as the precision.

Generally something I'm in favor of, but my goal this time is to go to my music shop, buy a bass, and commit. Gotta tell myself we're done playing the field and settle down with one lovely bass.

Dean, easily.

One reason I wanted a Precision is because I know that, whatever comes up in this arena, I'd be prepared. But it's all "just in case" because really I'm gonna spend 90-100% of the time screwing around in my living room or playing Rocksmith.

An uber-high end beauty I call the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2. $200 a few years ago.

I appreciate the reasoning exercise :thumbsup: Of course, I suppose this is all subject to change, given last night's paradigm shift, but I think this is what I think. I'm tired enough of being frozen in indecision that I think I'll probably just take action and buy the Dean today. But the day is young, and I may yet decide to go for that Hohner 64 harmonica instead.

Days like this make me wonder how I ever had the guts to decide to get married :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    A single perfect (for you) bass that you'll hold and play with (+ have to listen to) IS like a marriage! Chances are, there are way less choices in which woman you're able to marry, and soooo many bass choices out there!

Dunno what your local instrument store is like, but my one and only choice took months to find. I was banging on a cheap starter for a year while scouring TB threads, and all of the local places that had any kind of bass selection. Online research had shown me that I liked the bird shapes, and thanks to TB was also curious about getting something higher up in the Spector family, but my budget dictated it was not going to be new. Long story shorter... After hitting the 2 local GCs and Bass Northwest (RIP) a dozen times each, I finally saw the Spector Forte-X on the wall at BassNW for sale on consignment. I told myself if it sounded as good as it looked that I was going to learn to play THAT bass come hell or high water. Well it did and I put a deposit on it, and took it home a few months later. We're coming up on 7 years together. In that time I've been thru a divorce but the bass is still with me, no 7year itch to find something better, and I'm still learning to play it. I upgraded the pre 5 years ago but I suspect we'll be together for a long time to come.

So yea, choose wisely. Ideally play it before you buy it, and if you see something even better that's not in your budget at the moment... do the layaway thing if the Mrs isn't an obstacle about that. If need be, explain to her that just like in your marriage, you aren't willing to settle for anything but the best in either department.

Subbed!!!

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Why are you not buying the Dean? There’s no substitute for “Try before you buy”. Nothing should override your eyes, ears, and hands.

ajkula66 and smeet like this.
  6. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I'd wait a few days, then go try the instruments again. See if you still have the same feelings. Maybe take a friend with good ears and see if they agree with you.

Fenders are a tried and true formula, and they tend to work well in a traditional band mix, so it's generally a safe choice. But... Go with what sounds and feels good to you. Listen for how punchy the Dean is, make sure it has enough midrange heft so it won't get lost in a band context.

After that if you still like the Dean best, buy it with no regrets.