1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You can only choose one: Stingray HH or American Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kuoxasar, Oct 2, 2009.

1. 4-String Musicman Stingray HH

154 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. Fender Standard American Jazz Bass

190 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. Kuoxasar

Kuoxasar

Aug 8, 2009
    A hypothetical situation:

You are forced to sell all of your basses. You're allowed to buy one of the following basses: a 4-string MusicMan Stingray HH, or a 4-string Fender Standard American Jazz.

Which one do you pick and why? Which one fits best with the type of music you play, and the technique you use? What kind of effects will you be using with that bass?

Thanks for answering! :bassist:

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    StingRay HH. #1, More bottom. #2, I like Ernie Ball's business philosophy a lot better than Fender's. And #3, for some reason I've never been able to get that classic "Jazz Bass" sound out of any Jazz I've played.

3. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Owned both. Still have the HH.

4. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    HH can replicate jazz plus any other bass out there to a degree IMO

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Stingrays are magical! I like a good Jazz bass as well but between the two, the Ray would win everytime.

6. Probably the Stingray, but I would like to go on record saying the EBMM and Fender neck heels are painfully cumbersome.

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Even though I've owned 2 J's and 1 MM, I would prefer to have the Sting Ray.
    I definitely prefer humbuckers to single coils-thats my preferred sound. I'm primarily a fingerstyle player, occasionally use a pick and rarely slap. I'm also not much of an effects user either.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I love a good Jazz. I really do.

But mine sits in the closet, lonely and underutilized. I try to get it out and love it more, but I just can't.

Stingray for me.

9. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    I just bought an HH so I would say HH.

The Road Worn Jazz is hot though & you can combine it with an outboard pre.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I just traded my American jazz for a HH, lets see how it goes

11. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    .............And would opt for the EBMM Sting Ray. My personal preference would be the HS configuration though! :cool:

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It's easier to find a good Stingray than a good Jazz, but assuming the best of each, Jazz bass hands down. btw, I am not talking about action, or how a bass plays, I'm talking about the tone -- that's what I mean by good, a great sounding bass.

13. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Yeah, I'd have to give the edge to the Stingray HH too, but only because of the HH option. Not really fair comparing an active to passive bass here, as they're completely different animals. I prefer active basses live and passive ones in the studio. The J will always be my #1 go to bass, but in terms of versatility, powerm and on board EQ control, the HH gets the nod. Had you said a standard Stingray instead I would have given the edge to the J hands down.

14. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    Music Man puts out a consistently good bass.

Fender ... it's hit or miss, but I agree that the best Fender will sound better than the best Music Man.

In other words all Music Man basses tend to be within +/-5% with regards to tone, etc. probably because of the powerful EQ and pickups being a large contributor to the sound. Fender basses are like +/-50% with regard to tone & G&L I find even moreso - they bring out more of the sound of the wood, etc. & that varies quite a bit, but when it works they sing.

15. ANYTHING but a Fender.

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Carrots, I guess. I play fivers. ;)

17. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Owned both still have both. Mostly play punk, alternative rock and contemporary christian music which covers from jazz to rock.

I think both jazz and stingray fits great in everything that I play but if I had to sell one, i will keep the stingray.

18. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    id say 4hh, i just love rays. but id rather a 4h sure the tonal varietys are much greater in the HH but the h is just soo sexy

19. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    No comparison. For best overall, do it all, do it well, fit and finish, balance, and customer support, StingRay all the way.

20. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    HH, as it can do anything a Jazz can do.

I cant say the same for the vice versa.