1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You can pair a Mesa Prodigy Four:88 with any 410 cab. Which one is it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UpperBout, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mesa/Boogie 4x10 Traditional PowerHouse

30.0%
  2. Mesa/Boogie Vintage PowerHouse Cabinet

25.0%
  3. Bergantino HD410

20.0%
  4. DNA DNS-410

15.0%
  5. Bergantino HS410

10.0%
  1. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

You can pair a Mesa Prodigy Four:88 with any 410 cab. Which one is it?

I've added some of the more often mentioned pairings. Feel free to add your own.

2. I wouldn't pair it with a 410.

For me it would be a greenboy DuallyT 215.

Ymmv.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you want a 410, the mesa is pretty much the best there is.

With a 200 watt head id probably go with a bigger cab personally ... Like the mesa 412.

Or a greenboy cab!

4. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Only one on the list I've played and own is the HD410. Bad ass cab, and from my limited time with the Prodigy I think it would make for a monster rig. Or you could be talked into something you're showing no interest in and asked nothing about, like a 2X15...

5. UpperBout

That would be an excellent pairing.

But let's assume that you've already got all the other cabinet types covered - you're adding something in the x10 family. What is it?

6. UpperBout

Yes, but which of the Mesa's? I've read all I could and I still don't understand the finer points between vintage and traditional...

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Powerhouse, with either standard or vintage finish. Traditional is a new design, i don't much about those. The PH cabs are state of the art IMHO, i have a PH210 and a fearless F115, both sound great! Ive also used the mesa 12s, and they are amazing and very loud.

8. If I had a good, loud, lightweight 215, I dont know that I would be interested in a 410. ;)

That said, if I had to play 10's it would be a pair of 210's stacked vertically. Probably a pair of Mesa's even though they are heavy. Amp would be on a stand.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If it had to be a 4X10 I'd probably go with a Berg AE410

EDIT: Mesa Powerhouse or Traditional would be a fine choice as well, they're just a heavy cab compared to the Berg.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Tough call, as you have some great choices, there. I've been playing the Prodigy (and Strategy) through a Traditional PH410 and Traditional PH810 for an upcoming review (soon!), and I really like the combination. That being said, I also love the standard and Vintage PowerHouse lines, which seem to be a tad bit more clear and can get more aggressive. The Traditional cabs seem to lean towards the warm/smooth side, but are still very articulate. Just not as aggressive.

That being said, there are a lot of cabs which will sound great with the Prodigy, and I've always liked Mesa heads with Bergantino cabs, as well.

11. UpperBout

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

My sense is that the Prodigy does best with more cone area. While I am hypothetically tempted to go with something bigger like the Bergantino NV610 (because more is always better, right?), I know that the extra size might very well cause me to avoid using it.

If I really think about it, a robust 410 will meet 98% of my gigging needs. That was part of me reason for constraining this query to just 410's . . .

(Although if I am really, really honest about it, I did just try to buy an NV610 3 days ago...)

12. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I tried out that amp through the PH210, and it was an amazing sound, 2 of those would be perfect, and the head is narrow enough to fit without much overhang.

'course, its a $3k rig :(

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    If it's the schlep you're concerned about, I find my NV610 easier to move than just about any 410.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I can confirm that the Prodigy does sound fantastic with the PH210. That is an amazing 2x10! It moves more air than any other 2x10 I know of, and it sounds fantastic, to boot. Of course, it is on the big and heavy side for a 2x10, but what the heck! It's still a 2x10! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :smug:

15. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Mesa makes great cabs. Both of the 4 10s you mentioned are the same design and drivers but with different cosmetics. I haven't tried the others. You should check out ampeg heritage 4 10s as well. Best 4 10 I've ever had the pleasure of using.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Traditional 4x10 does not use the Player Control Network crossover, like the Vintage (and "regular" PowerHouse) cabs. Also, in the Vintage PH410, they refer to "custom Mesa Powerhouse speakers," whereas in the Traditional PH410, they refer to "Traditional Powerhouse speakers," so there might be a difference there.

17. UpperBout

A Mesa Powerhouse 410 (previous generation) came up on my local CraigsList at a price that was too good to pass by. Part of the reason I was able to pull the trigger was the positive comments here and elsewhere on TB.

2014-06-26 23.05.34_.

Played out with this combo last night. Prodigy at 1/2 power and my pants legs were moving (you all know what I mean). Meaty, creamy, round notes. It was a jam and another player was playing through this rig while I sat out. I could feel the springs in the booth bench vibrating on my back in sympathy with the cab. It wasn't loud, just full and robust. :bassist::hyper:

I'll be gigging it at full power tonight.

Thanks for the input, all!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nice!

19. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    When the Prodigy came out, I did a nice long demo at a Music Shop. Played through a PH115 cab - it was just OK. Kind of honky, and started to fart at higher volume. Then switched to a PH410. Sounded very nice, and WAY better than the 115.

Not sure that I would buy a Mesa cab, because everyone I've ever seen has been HEAVY as heck, and the 410 form factor is not my favorite... although, every time I plug into a 410, I kind of like it. I might consider a nice 2x12 - Berg, Greenboy, Bareface, Genz NeoX, Aguilar, etc...

20. UpperBout

Yeah, my most common set of cabs with this has been two DNA DNS 112C's. Very light, easy to move, quite transparent. But there are two things that make those not-quite-appropriate for everything. 1) The mid focus for some genres isn't quite right. 2) With the Prodigy, I think it might be a bit underpowered with just the 2 112's.

I've always liked the 410's I've used, borrowed, and played through. The Mesa cabs are somewhat heavy, but not much more so than other brands. This one is in the neighborhood of 93 lbs I think. But I moved it yesterday and with the casters actually hoisted it less than when I move my 2-112's. And this one came up at a fire-sale price, so it was pretty easy to buy it for those loud rock gigs, even if I don't wind up moving it for every gig.