1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You cant get fretbuzz without frets right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WolfgangMF, Apr 2, 2009.

1. WolfgangMF

WolfgangMF

Dec 29, 2008
    H'okay. So i got this bass right? Its fine and all but its got major fretbuzz. Lets just say i wanted to take the frets off, anyone got any tips for it? Do i need a professional to do it? What about filing down the frets good idea or not?

I already tried raising the action and lowering it. No good. Tried the truss rod, no luck. :scowl: Its getting me to the point where i wanna sell the damn thing on ebay and let some sucker buy it. Its and EB-0 epi. btw.

so what should i do?

2. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    There's a ton of videos on youtube about defretting guitars...

3. WolfgangMF

WolfgangMF

Dec 29, 2008
    Now about the defretting, will it give me a drasticly different sound? Im guessing its also going to be a bit hard to adjust right?

4. holllowbody

holllowbody

Mar 25, 2009
    The bass can buzz against the fingerboard just like it can the frets. My fretless buzzes a little bit.

5. WolfgangMF

WolfgangMF

Dec 29, 2008
    sigh, i could try going to a music shop for help, or sell it!:mad:

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You'd go to the trouble of ripping the frets out before you'd go to the trouble of simply leveling and dressing them (or having someone else do it)? :confused:

7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    After you amputate the frets from a bass it may still feel ghost frets.

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    well boardbuzz. I had a fretless KSD 5er with ebonol board. I put some different guage strings on it and left it alone for a couple months. Forget when I first tried it again, while I lived in NOLA or Houston, but the humidity got to it. The strings were like stuck to the fingerboard, could not even play a decent note on it. I took it to get a setup and it was good again. You could start with tweaking the trussrod abit to see if that helps. I just could not get that little bit to work for me.

I bought a Cruz Tools Bass tool kit and do my own setups now, esp at string chnage time.