Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You cant hold no groove if you aint got now pocket

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 4, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im finally starting to get into really good bass players now, (I knew they were out there, just never bothered to check them out) And I stumbled across "You Cant Hold No Groove" by Victor Wooten. Ive got a few things by him as well, and I really must admit that Im kicking myself in the tail for not checking this mans work out sooner. He's increadible. And so far Ive found myself enjoying most everything Ive heard by him.

Not to incite a riot here, but you guys that think claypool, and flea are slap God's, should really look into Victor, Flea and Less are good, but Ive never heard them do a solo that sounded near as full and as rythmic Victors on You Cant Hold No Groove.

Im also on a Scott Ambrush, Rocco Prestia, and Benny Rietfeld (sp) kick right now.

If you want to try and broaden your styles, imo listening to these 4 men, will definantly help you to open up a whole new relm to your playing. Since Ive been listening to these types of players, I find myself thinking diferently and aproaching basslines in a new more creative way. And have actually improved as a player.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Good advice, c. For me, I'm kicking myself for not really checking out some of the Contemporary Gospel guys more closely.

Scott plays here. So does Gary Grainger. :D

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gee, this looks like another one of those "Under Rated Bassists" thingees.
    THREAD CLOSED!

(...still can't believe YOU closed that Cetera thread, Mama Cass!).

;)

BTW, the first time I heard Wooten: I was a 17-year old 'know-it-all'...boy, was I ever humbled(& then, a few years later, Oteil comes to town & takes MY GIG!). ;)
    I've seen Grainger doing clinics here with Larry Bright; awesome, educating experience. Both really hipped me about 'displacement' beats...very cool guys!

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Tryand catch Victor live. WOW!!! He tours with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. IMO he is the show piece of the band. The rest of the guys try and keep up. He also tours with his own band and they usually play small clubs. It is great to see him in that intimate of a setting.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I want to check out some of those Contemporary Christian Gospel guys myself. I read a good article in BP a few months back about Andrew Gouche. Id like to check out some of his work, Im just having a hard time finding it.

I dont quite get ya on Scott plays here, So does Gary Grainger?

i can relate all to well about the humbling experience. I thought I was gettin better, and feelin good about it all too, and then I start listening to Victor, and am sayin to myself....man i still dont know squat.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Id go see them in a heart beat if I heard they were comming to the Tampa Area. The smallest place around here is Ruth Eckard Hall, seats about 2500, I actually saw the Monkeys there, and I loved it because of the intimacy level. Seemed more personal and the guys on stage would actually talk to you and not at you.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cass-
    Just pulling your chain! ;)

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i dont like my chain pulled unless its done by a woman, man :eek:

seriously, i wasnt sure if you were serious or just kidding, the wink shouldve gave it away tho.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

you can keep your disgusting hermaphrodite fantasies to yourself, man... :eek: :D

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    And you just happen to know the correct term. Hmmm...

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    touch'e Brad ;)

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :rolleyes:

brad's just ticked that i beat him...heheh...i can spell it too ;) :eek:

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Whatever works for ya, man.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Vic usually keeps a fairly up to date concert schedule at his website....

http://www.victorwooten.com/

Peace,

James

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dang, I just got it...my pea-brain supplied Cassie's missing COMMA! A "woman man" DUH!

BTW, there is a tool called "hermaphrodite calipers"; yep, one side is 'male'(out-ie, the other side is 'female'(inn-ie).

BTW, Part Deaux-
    The only thing I remember from my freshman Genetics class...
    There are more than two sexes in the world.
    Some people have 2 X-chromosones(women)
    Some people have 1 X & 1 Y(men)
    Some have only 1 X-chromosone
    Some are XXY; some are XXXY.
    (I haven't heard of any YY males excepting those in Alien 3).

17. NOOOOO. Everybody knows the slap GOD, is Mark King from level 42. He and Vic are both masters of some kinda of godlike slap technique called stroke slap or something, i dont understand it, but i think Mark slaps better than Vic, just my opinion though.

sim

18. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I remember back in high school (I think it was '90) being invited to a concert by a friend of mine of this banjo player who plays with this freaked out "drummer". I didn't go 'cause being the stupidstupidstupid kid I was in my youth had NO interest in hearing this "freak show". Afterwards, being told of how utterly amazing the bassist was and how my bassist pal got to play this guy's bass...he thinks it was a Fodera with a Kahler tremolo(!!!!!!!!!!!).

...I still kick myself for not going!:(