Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You can't hold no groove

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by SunShine, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Does someone have this in notation? My local store doesn't sell his book, go figure, and I have no way to order online.

I'm doing my best to figure it out on my own but I guess it's two parts, and thats throwing me off a little. :(
    My skills are sad.

2. I was told there's only one bass track on that song. :eek:

Wooten's a freakin' monster.

3. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Sorry Sunshine, but yep, it's only one part.

If you are really interested in learning this tune, check out the Victor Wooten Live at Bass Day '98 DVD.

As hard as it seems, it's only him playing with no looping or anything.

Check out the above link, and take a look at the transcription link on that page. Click several more links and you'll find a transcription for part of the song.

Probably my favorite tune from him.

Take care and have fun. I can play it a little bit, and will take me some time to get it down right.

JB

4. I have it and I can e-mail it to you

5. theres a transcripion of it http://www.hudsonmusic.com/transcriptions/Wooten_transcriptions/nogroove1.html <- there if you dont already have it and can read music. i thought it was insanely hard at first but after a couple days i realized its realy not that hard at all. it just sounds like it. your left and doesnt move at all(well a little bit ;))

what did it for me was to not play it exactly like wooten does as far as right hand technique goes. believe it or not there are easier ways to play a lo of his lines even though he is the innovator of effecient slap technique

6. Im having this problem with you cant hold no groove.
    G----------0--------0--0-----| the book doesnt say if hes
    D--0--3-------3-----------3-| slapping and plucking those
    A-------------------------------| notes for the main riff.It
    E-------------------------------| seems to work if i thumb the F(3) and pluck the open string (G) If i thumb all of it, then everything just rings out, and it doesnt sound right. I cant really tell how hes doing it on the Bass day 98 vid either.
    Or could it be that hair tie he uses? Ive ben thinking about getting one of those.