1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You Can't Make It

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Oct 24, 2013.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Seriously, there is almost no chance at all that you are going to make it as an original band. You are competing with a bazillion other bands. EVERYONE is in a band! Everyone who is in a band has a friend, brother, son, daughter, uncle and mother who is in a band. It's gotten to where there are a lot more people who are in a band than there are who AREN'T in a band. The list of performers has gotten bigger than the list of potential audience members, and most of them can't stay out late because they have to work.

Cover band? In every city, there is an ever-shrinking number of venues, with available gig nights on fewer and fewer nights, and once any band finds its audience, it will book out the majority of them for the next few years. In the summer and fall, the venues will be booked up "through the year," and in the winter and spring, they will "not be booking acts until next summer and fall, because summer is the slow season."

You will be required to bring an audience. Where do you get one? Do you have two hundred and sixty friends who like to spend four hours drinking and eating crappy bar food every Friday and Saturday night? Because if you do, you are IN, but that's simply not going to be true of most people.

Your best bet is to become a janitor. Janitors make a good, honest living, and very little of what they do is ego driven.

2. I was a janitor in high school before I made it big. :)

j/k.
    Being a pro musician can be a tough job.
    You can be the best musician but without a lucky break you won't get in the door.

3. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    How about being a janitor with a hot wife? :D

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Make what?

5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    It.

6. +1. Hot wife for the win. :D

7. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    What is it?

It's it?

I admit, I have a difficult time pouring chocolate like that...

its_it_wht.

8. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I agree with Mellowinman. There is absolutely NO WAY I will ever be able to make an It's It. I'm not even going to bother trying.

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I often wondered about that.

Probably why certain people don't "make it" --- they don't know what "it" is.

10. SactoBass

By the way, is that "tone" chocolate?

11. SactoBass

That's the one thing Curly in City Slickers was talking about.

Just don't talk about "IT" in front of the Knights who say Nee.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    'Cause hot chicks dig dudes who can work a dust mop.

True story.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Can't argue with you. Everyone plays in a band. They play for free or beer. It sucks for any "serious" musician's/bands. No venues and LATE start times. I've said it of rears around here. Many people don't want to start their night at 10:00 or later. One venue does jazz on Thursdays from 7-10 and is quite successful. I bet people would go listen to other genres from 7-10 as well.

14. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    And yet...

Go walk into a record store, if you can find one.
    (I actually know where one is, I think, but I haven't been there in months and they might be gone now...)

Or go to Amazon.

Exclude Classical which is - after all - Cover Bands almost without exception.

You're still left with tens of thousands of 'original music' artists.
    They're making and selling music.
    They're not gigging every night or every week but not even the Rolling Stones or Fleetwood Mac are doing that.

"But those bands" I hear you say "are good enough to have record deals."

Aha.

15. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Im a janitor with a sexy beautiful wife does that count?
    At least she is to me.
    Ive been in original bands since i started playing music in the early nineties.
    Never made it "big" as in making a living as a pro musician but for almost 10 years i made it big enough for me to get paid some cash and have tons of fun. Did the touring and cd releases met alot of new people and made friendships that last til today.
    I still play in original bands now for the fun and the thrill of playing live.
    Never could manage to make it my living, but to say never bother because i couldnt make it would have taken a majority of my life away that i dont regret at all.
    Especially seeing my sons eyes the first time he saw me on stage and now hes into music as well and has made a huge impact on his behaviour and school life as well as his do nothing and play xbox phase.
    Just saying is all.

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think most of us considered a career in music if we get into it when we are young. I did, but I figured playing gigs was what a career in music looked like.

As I got older and really did start to play gigs, I had decided to go another professional direction. So the gigs were fun time hobbies for me.

What surprised me was the guys I played with who were pros - the gigs were fun time hobbies for them too. There's no consistency or money in gigs for 99% of us, so they all spend their days doing other things to pay the bills. They teach lessons, some work in paid church music roles, the majority have day jobs in other fields.

So, yes - your band is a hobby. Do it because you love doing it, and do it well. But there is no business case for doing it as a source of income you rely upon.

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It all depends on what your it is.

Ive made it, and am still making it, by my own standards.
    Im doing what I want to do and Im enjoying it. Thats all it ever was.

18. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    I became pro in 1972 - I remember reading an article at the time that there were 10,000 bands in Ohio alone - 2,000 of which worked to some degree or another

live music was everywhere, every bar, restaurant, etc.

I started a 'real job' (career) at 25 and did the family thing but continued to play out for another 30 yrs

did I make it? ah, so so - backed up a lot of name acts, played to small & large crowds

AND, have a lifetime of wonderful memories

19. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I'm still doing bands because I am compelled to do it because when it works it's magical.

I never had any interest in being mega-successful and personally turned down two major label offers (Arista and Sony) when they came schmoozing around because I thought they would ruin everything.

Never made any money, still gigging, couldn't be happier. :)

20. From the Presidents of the United States Of America

We Are Not Going To Make It