"You Cant Strum A BASS!!!!!!"

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by sn0wblind, Jun 28, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    i was bored enuff the other day, so I caught a little bit of "VH1's Behind The Music - THe Partridge family" and that's what "Keith Partridge(can't remember the dudes real name), told Danny Bonaduce.

Any way this reminded me of hearing, about flamenco strumming. I heard MR. Claypool uses this technique. I was just wondering what this technique involed. Does it invole strumming down with the thumb, and strumming up with the index finger???
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Danny Partridge was definately a bass god. I prefer his solo work to that of The family.
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I'm not really sure. I use a classical guitar (or finger picking) technique when playing arpeggios or chords. But I am sorry that I cannot speak to the Flamenco guitar techniques.

As for Danny Bonaduce - I as with most of us players who grew up in that era, will no doubt cite Mr. Bonaduce as one of our primary influences. But the only one of the family that could be considered godlike would be Susan Dey.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I like to strum double stops a lot (Root-Fifth) mostly in D and G Strings.

Claypool uses only his 4 fingers DOWN and then UP, while his thumb hits the side of the fretboard... it´s pretty hard to do it and master it.

i never studied guitar, so i don´t really know the "right way to flamenco strum" but i have a technique that works for me:

use 4 fingers to strum DOWN and my Thumb to strum UP... takes some time to get it well (motion, speed, mutting other strings, etc).

i don´t know if you got my point but try it.

start by learning "too many puppies" by Primus... it´s an excelent song and a good way to start learning strumming.

Dave :)

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    On some songs Les uses only his index finger to get a thinner sound out of the strum. "Power Mad" off of their new cd is a good song to start practicing strumming in this way. There is only one part in there where he strums, but it is in a weired place and it takes some practice to do. Too many puppies is the best way to go for practice, because You have to learn how to grab the chord fast. Dont really worry about the way other people do it, just start experimenting and find your own way. Who knows, maby you will create a new technique.
  6. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanx for the help guys, (does anybody know any flamenco bands??). I'm not too worried about learning it, I was mostly curious, I think I'll stick to my metal roots,( but I'll look around some more).

P.S. I dont know how anybody can live off of eating only carrots, and the orange skin thing, just nasty!!!
  7. Hey snOwblind

I don't know that flamenco players have bands per se. The guitar players (true flamenco) are used to support flamenco dancers. They often play with percussionists (hand calps, casternets sp? and the sound of the dancers feet). Anyway if you want to check out some good flamenco guitar (with a s*#t hot bassplayer :D) then get the album ARAS by Curandero. This is one of my all time favourite albums with awesome bass solos and grooves not to mention some wicked guitar and percussion (tabla etc).
  8. kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Totally! Anybody know what his main axe & rig were?

What really blows me away was his ability to pull so many notes out of his bass without moving his fretting hand. Who else can do this?

Anyways, I prefer his sessions with Chet Atkins and Zappa. I also know a recording engineer who caught an impromtu, mescaline-hazed jam session with Danny and Glen Campbell, but it was damaged beyond repair when Cindy Brady barfed on it.
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that is correct, sir! :D
  10. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Susan Dey? yuck.

too 80s in my mind (LA Law, anyone)

11. She looked pretty good in the movie Looker.

Plus Dan was a good bass player if you are into the hollow-body tone but Peter Tork now there was a player.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Susie even got nekkid in Looker...

ABC re-ran The Partridge story the other night; I still laugh when David Cassidy was chastising his "bigger than Paul McCartney" co-star about "strumming a bass".
    Bonaduce did play some hollow-bodied basses; I think there was an episode or two where he had a Fender Mustang(w/ stripe)hangin'.
    Hmmmm; I don't recall ever seeing a bass rig, though. ;)
  13. hey, what about the monkees? same difference, imho... my first musical seeds were planted back when the initial reruns were on _cbs_ on saturday mornings (yes, i'm showing my age but so what?). and i still dig those tunes.

14. believe it or not, that's entirely true. when the monkees got control of their own recording sessions after booting don kirshner, the bass duties on their next two albums were handled either by peter, or by chip douglas (the unofficial fifth monkee and their own hand-picked producer) when peter was playing keyboards.

15. Yea I learned that from the movie "Head" Circle Sky is a pretty good song, and yes there are others.

16. incredible proto-punk song, delibrately written by nesmith with the band in mind. the live version in the movie and on the soundtrack CD proves that those cats could not only play, they could kick ass. absolutely vicious playing by the whole group, esp. nez' guitar and peter's bass line.

great avatar, too! charlie brown still rules!
  17. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ah..the Monkees..my first musical love. :) I was 8 years old or so (now 23) when my mom gave me the very first Monkees album to play. I don't care what anyone thought of them, but they were a big musical influence on me. Now that I'm older I still admire them, especially the music that they wrote themselves. (Ever hear "Daily Nightly"?..ooh..a moog synthesizer. LOL).

Hmmm..never got much into The Partridge Family though.
  18. micky dolenz was the first rock musician ever to use a moog on a rock record, he owned the third one ever in the states (wendy carlos and of all people, buck owens owned the first and second). so the monkees essentially beat the doors ("the soft parade" album) and the beatles ("abbey road" album, moog owned by george, played on different cuts by george, paul and john) as far as synth use in rock music by at least a year.

19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Head was insane!
    Frank Zappa & The Talking Cow?! Scary stuff! ;)

The Monkees' Headquarters album...the one where they learned to actually 'play'-
    IMO, a pretty damn good Pop record. A lot of the tunes, ESPECIALLY THE BASS TONE, is McCartney/Beatles-esque.
    The group also tackled some non-fluff material. "Cuddly Toy"(I forget which album) looks harmless enough; the double-entendres, though, paint a picture of a Hell's Angels' gang bang.

My .02:
    There are avatars & then there is CJ's, uhhh,

20. jim k,

that's not the half of it. 'last train to clarksville' is actually an anti-war song (remember the line: 'i don't know if i'm ever coming home'), while 'pleasant valley sunday' is about an insane asylum. don't forget about 'salesman'!

yes, and it's all mine! :)