Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

you choose my new 12" cab(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Oct 4, 2002.

so, go a head and choose...

Poll closed Nov 3, 2002.
  1. two 4 ohm EBS212's

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. two 4 ohm Glockenklang Double 212's

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. single 8 ohm EBS412

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. change the poweramp, get the Peavey and go diving or snowboarding

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. get a life and stop bothering me!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    ...well not quite, but i'd really appreciate your input here. This will be my last poll on buying new cabs for a few years. I hope so anyway, if I make the right decission.

My situation is that I received my new Peavey MAX preamp two weeks ago. I've also ordered (haven't payed it yet) a Phonic MAX2500 poweramp(2x750@4ohms, 1500W@8ohms, bridged) which should arrive next week to my dealer. I should've read the specs on the Phonic better, because today I realise that it can only be bridged to 8ohms. I was planning on getting the Peavey 412TVX , but it's available only as a 4ohm cab so I can't used it with the Phonic on bridge mode.

So I have a dilemma going on here (money vs. more money) and I ask for your advice. I've narrowed my cabs of choise to Glockenklang, EBS or Peavey. I should note that out of the next cabs, I'm only able to test the EBS212. I play hard rock/metal and often tune down to ADGCF so do like to go deep, deep down...

So, should I:

a) get two 4 ohm EBS212's

b) get two 4 ohm Glockenklang Double 212's

c) get a single 8 ohm EBS412

d) forget the Phonic and get an amp that can handle about 1000W@4ohms in bridge mode and get a single 4 ohm Peavey 412TVX and save the 1000 € that I just saved compared to the "highend" cabs and go scuba-diving in Cuba or go snowboarding in the Alps this winter

e) get a life and stop bothering everyone else here

Any comments on these cabs and on what sort of life I should get are warmly tolerated!

Peace,

Mara

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    For what it's worth, the music store Jam in Stockholm thinks the EBS 4x12 is the best and most powerful cabinet they have heard. I personally have no clue though. :)

I don't really like these large cabs because they are so difficult to transport. But if this is of no concern...

3. Smaller 8 ohm cabs would be a better choice? A 2x12 8 ohm for example? That way you could use two for a total load of 4 ohms; best case scenario IMO?
    I use two EB-MM HD212's myself...

[​IMG]

4. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Hi,
    I have made no vote, because none of the possible choices fits. I own one Glockenklang Double 2x12" and unfortunately I'm a bit disappointed. I bought this thing to get maximum definition, which I finally got, but it just lacks punch and cut. Played in a big room with ideal acoustics, it's really nice, but in the daily practice room and club stage situation, it doesn't really do the job for me (too boomy, no thumb)!
    Right now I'm trying to sell it and buy a Eden CX410 or 210XLT cab, eventhough everybody plays Eden. But this propably isn't coincidence!
    ;)
    Johannes

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Eww, I can only imagine how massive the Peavey 4x12 would be to lug around. If you wanna go loud, get two of those Peaveys ;) Even the 4x10 is bit too large, but then again 4x12 has casters and whatnot to help in transporting. I was thinking about trading my 4x10 in in favour of EBS 2x12 or something, since I don't need that much volume, and the 4x10 is heavy as a bastard :eek:

My vote goes for either MM, Glockenklang or EBS 2x12s. Perhaps you could get one 2x12 now and add another later if you feel you need it, but then again I don't know if the EBS-212 goes low enough..

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oh, my...!
    OK, you can run 4ohms in stereo or 8 ohms bridged. And you like to play deep.

Deep and punchy, that is the EBS 4x12. Which is also huge and heavy, not at all suited for one night gigs, more like a permanent installation... But it does have some sonic advantages, indeed.
    The Peavey is also a fridge, not as nice sounding as the EBS.
    The 2x12's are more portable, though not very! I'd still choose that as a priority. Then I could buy one at the time (and go scuba on the Cuba).

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LOL,

only in europe would you be able to safely have both a Peavey and Glockenklang setup without fellow peers going, "***?"

:D

8. Just FYI AFAIK the EBS 4x12 is only available in 4 an 2 Ohm versions

9. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    That's weird:
    Yesterday I played a gig with my Glockenklang 2x12" and it sounded awsome! It's so hard to judge about this cab bacause It's sound quality changes so much with the acoustics of the rooms you're playing in!

:(
    Johannes

10. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    "Hello again,
    Yes, the EBS-412 cabinet is available in 8 ohms upon request. Delivery time minimum 4 weeks.

Best Regards
    =================
    Mats Kristoffersson,
    Technical Director,
    EBS Sweden AB"

11. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I wonder why?

:rolleyes: