Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You COULD Care Less?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jack, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Warning, rant.

Lately on here there have been lots of people saying 'I could care less about X' when they want to convey the fact that they are not bothered and do not care for X. So dont they mean 'I couldNT care less about X'?

Now, I know that the first one akes perfect sense, but it just does not mean that you are not bothered by X.

Please people, say what you mean.

Thank you for your time, and all the people who couldnt (or could) care less about this thread.

:help: :D

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, this thread has been written time and time again.

i guess some people just "could care less" about making sense.

3. I try not to bother anybody. I'm sorry if I've rubbed anybody the wrong way.

X

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Don't worry about it. We could care less.:D

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    or maybe they could care less about doing a search :hyper: :smug:

6. What have they been putting in "fluffy's" food.........

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I never understood that figure of speech

'i could care less' to me means 'i care'

i always thought it should be 'i couldnt care less'?!

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you know what those kind of people would say, right? "Same diference." I hate that.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Exactly.

10. I know it's petty but seeing people type (or hearing them say) "I could care less", drives me crazy. I'm not sure where it started but it's wrong. Just wrong.

The proper way to say it is "couldn't care less". You see, if you "could care less" then you do actually care. If you "couldn't care less" then you don't care at all. And no, it's not sarcasm. Sarcasm is characterised by over emphasis and/or stating the opposite of what you mean, which in this case would be something like "I care so much!". This helpful little chart was found at http://incompetech.com/gallimaufry/care_less.html and makes it all easier to understand.

[​IMG]

...I feel a bit better getting that off my chest :)

11. lol. Very funny! :p

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That little lesson is for all of you who didn't catch it the other 20 or so times it's been mentioned here at TB.

bc

13. It still see it typed all over TB. Obviously it needs to be mentioned again.

14. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    well I could care less... but I won't.

somewhere I read "there are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't"...

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So you think this time it's gonna stick, huh?

bc

16. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    WELL DONE DISCO GEE!!!

I saw someone on TB say "could care less" yesterday, and I see it posted all the time. I don't know why people do, isn't it obvious that "I COULD care less" doesn't fit with what they are trying to say?!?!?! It drives me insane...

INSANE I TELLS YA. :mad:

It actually makes me kinda mad... like when people don't know the difference between; their, they're and there. :oops:

[/rant]

17. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    You mean...

"I wouldn't care less"