1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You Don't Miss Your Water...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 17, 2011.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those of you who have read my posts know that I am a huge fan of older Peaveys and Yamahas. Today, I went to a music shop about thirty miles from my houose simply because I have some time off and I could take some me time. The store is very nice but I didn't see much special there. One bass that caught my eye was a gold MIA Peavey Millennium that was there the last time I came by. It is priced way too high for me at $799, and I don't think this store bargains very much, so I don't see me buying it, however, I asked to play it.

Dang! I knew these basses were great, but this thing is so well made it's ridiculous!:eek: That thin neck darn near played it self, and although it use some tweaking, the action was marvelous. I couldn't help but think of all the reasons I had for letting mine go: I wanted 19mm millimeter spacing at the bridge; I wanted to split the rear humbucker. The truth be told, I just wanted a Lakland!:rollno:

The moral is that I really need to remember how I felt today the next time I get all GAS-sy like I have been over Groovelines lately, and remember just how many great basses I have let go running after the next new thing.:oops:

I also am going to have to look for another Millennium on line or just show up at that store $600 and see if they will bite.:D

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I went the wider route, and ended up somewhere inbetween with MM style basses. I found that on wider spacing basses my arthritic hands bothered me more, same with my shoulders and 11+ lb basses.
    IMHO many people put more emphasis on preference than need. You can see great players playing great on both wider and narrower basses string spacings.

3. Walk in with $600 CASH.
    Pull it out. The cash that is.
    Make the offer.
    Be prepared to WALK away if they say no.
    DON'T stay and try to negotiate. Simply say thanks and leave.

These days, cash is king. I don't think they want $600 CASH walking out the door.

I have a whole new way of approaching things these days Doc.
    I want nothing bad enough that I can't walk away from it.

It's a Dave Ramsey type of approach.
    If you can always pay cash, not a debit card or credit card, cash, you'll have far more bargining power.

There is a proven human reaction that we have when a larg amount of money is in front of us.
    Pulse rises and blood pressure goes up. Body temp goes up as well.
    The GOOD thing is it happens to the BUYER as well making you think even harder about letting it go!
    Try it at GC and watch the sales guy sweat when you pull out $1000 in $20's to by a pair of powered monitors priced at $1350.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I thank you for the clarification. ;)

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks Mike. That's what I intend to do if it's still there after our family vacation.

6. Dave Ramsey knows his stuff. I've been through his "Financial Peace University". Lots of wisdom there.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look Mod, I would be impressive either way!:D

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually, I'm simply not that picky about spacing. I can work with anything between 17-20mm. As I said, I was just looking for excuses to release my GAS.:p

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    P! V! P! V! P! V! P! V!

GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!GO!

:D

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm still back and forth on selling my Millennium.....;)

IMG_20110516_194031.

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    ... and if they say no and you walk, walk back in 30 min later and say that you'd finished your errands in that part of town, were on your way back to your car and were just stopping in to see if they had reconsidered. Sometimes you can catch them in the middle of having second thoughts about letting $$$ walk and "catch them on the rebound" so to speak. Doesn't work every time, but often enough to be worth a try.

12. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You know, this could explain why I've had such bad luck negotiating on used gear recently. I should have been puling out my CASH.

Seriously though, walking in with a pile of cash equal to a fair price for a piece of gear is a great way to get a shop to deal.

13. Yeah, we went through it too.....there are times where I'm cussing Dave out though!!! LOL!!!

His thoughts on buying a car are perfect.
    we're doing it right now actually.

OT but here's his "plan" in a nut shell......
    You can buy a decent used car for say $2000 right?
    Take your $2K and buy one outright. Paid in full.
    Now, for the next 10 months, sock away a car payment of say...$250.
    10 months you have (if all goes well- barring repairs to your car) $2500
    AND you have a car you bought for $2K 10 months prior that you could sell for pretty much as much as you paid. But lets say you sold it for $1500.
    Now you have $4000.
    Go buy a car for $4000 and repeat the same for another 10 months @ $250/mo.
    Now you have another $2500 and a car say you sold for, I dunno, $3700.
    Now you have $6200.....rinse and repeat.
    After about maybe 7-8 years, for all practical purposes, you could, within reason, walk in and buy almost any car new off the show room floor.
    And you get to do it with cash. NO financing.
    And all the while you never have a car "payment" above $250. (in reality you have NO car payment- every car you bought was paid in full with cash- the payment is just a forsight into the next car. Your current one is paid for clean and free).

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I just don't have the discipline. I can see the logic, and it makes perfect sense. But again...I don't have much sense when it comes to such things.

15. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Can you set up auto-drafting with your bank?

Auto drafts = automatic discipline. :)

Have that money come out of there automatically, and live on the rest. Do this with IRA contributions, 401(k) contributions, education savings for the kids, etc.

People generally say they will invest what is left at the end of the month, then find each month there's nothing left; this is backwards.

Invest and pay yourself first, then live on the rest.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    At least your dedication to gravy has not wavered.

17. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    :D

18. I subscribe to this process of car ownership. I purchased a car two years ago for exactly $2000. The dealer wanted $2500, but I had cash. Now I am looking at buying a car for $4000. Cash is king, and living without a car note is freedom.

19. LOL!!!

(BTW Brian, I want your EVO singlecut....)

20. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    This is a great system but only if you are sure to sell the car for as much or almost as much as you paid for it each and every time. I don't think there's a guarantee of that. Things go bad and cars develop some pretty severe problems, especially when you're first starting out, driving a vehicle you piad 2 grand for.