1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You Don't Need Big Hands ...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TyBo, Dec 13, 2018.

1. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Sugar Blue does the Stones' "Miss You" here. The vocal amplification is not great, but the band is cookin'. Whoever is recording it seems to be captivated by the bass player at a certain point ... she does a great job hitting the groove on this song, where the bass line is such a big part of it. I don't know of Ilaria Lantieri, but she demonstrates pretty clearly that one doesn't need big hands to play the bass effectively, even a 5 string!

2. That line doesnt require big hands.
    I want to see her playing Portrait of tracy

3. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Mohini Day is proof that "large hands" are not required to achieve virtuosity on the bass guitar. Victor Wooten is another notable example.

TyBo likes this.
  4. _godspeed_

_godspeed_ Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dang, and I’ve been complaining that it’s “hard” to play 1.75” necks... *proceeds to cry in the shower*

TyBo likes this.
  5. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I was recently watching Groove Workshop and thinking the same thing about Victor. I know a lot of pros use OFPF but they don’t play with the fret span covered at all times, there’s a subtle shift / pivot going on. I’d love to see someone break this down slowly in a video.

That video is insane. It’s hard to believe it is even real. Feels very mechanical and robotic to me. I appreciate the virtuosity though.....that’s some serious shedding.