You don't realize what you have until it's gone (22frets)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Jan 2, 2006.

1. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Maybe because I have been getting better as a bass player... but I used to play a yamaha that actually had 22 frets and now that I am playing with only 20 frets I find myself desperately needing just 21 or 22 in some cases. It seems that I am always one fret away....

Is anyone ever just one fret or even half a fret away \ limited in some songs or solos because of having 20 frets?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont really play solos that high up the neck, ive never really encountered a situation where i need frets that high when writing original material. There was one song i was learning that required 23-24 but it was a guitar part transcribed for bass so that doesnt really count either.
  3. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah i have to go up to 21 or 22 frets on a song on my D string, so i just use my G string, problem solved :p

But i went from 24 to 20 and its been a transition.
  4. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I'm talking about Being on the 19th fret on the G string and needing to go to the 21st... But only having 20....

I personally want to see a petition started to ban anything less than 22 frets. Its not that I go down that far so often, but when I do I don't want to be held back from the tone I want to hit. I often have to hit the 21st fret an octave back which would be the 19th on the A string and it just doesnt sound the same (obviously
  5. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Might want to look into a high-C string
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nah. Get with it man, this is TalkBass. Jaco only needed 20 frets. :D :D :D
  7. i could understand having 24 or more frets on a bass but my rick has 20 and my stingray has 21 i'm fine with it

but like someone else said before you may want to look into getting a 5 string with a high c.
  8. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Bend up on the 20th fret.

9. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I often find myself bending the high F (on the G string) to F# when soloing in # keys . . .
  10. Try nailing those solos on lower registers... or get a nice chorus.
  11. I often find that 24 is plenty. Its makes sense having the full extra octave.
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I find myself needing at least 22 frets but preferring 24 frets for a lot tap applications. I didn't find adding the extra string helping any because the added stretch to play parts made it a deturant. In the end, the few extra frets make a difference for me.
  13. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    When I switcher from the 21 frets of my Stingray to the 20 of my jazzbass, yes, I missed a fret. :crying:

Now I'm once again on 21 with my Vigier, so everything's fine ! :hyper:
  14. beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    here's the man himself doing it:

No offense to all you diehard fourbangers, but I'll bet my 401k that
    if Jaco were alive today, he'd be playing a modern six, like an MTD, Fodera, or a Modulus.
  15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Yes, I was limited once by 20 frets, when I subbed in for a bassist who plays a Spector. A signature bass riff required the high E (G string, fret 21), and when I initially tried to learn it on my Jazz I simply ran out of fretboard.

At first I regretted having sold my American Deluxe Precision (22 frets), but then broke out my DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow, which to my surprise has 24. (I almost never play in that area, and it doesn't have a double inlay at fret 24, so it never occurred to me that it might go that high.) It sounds spectacular up there too, so problem solved! :D
  16. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I bet u he'd still be playing a 4 just like vic wooten does
  17. I bet you that he'd play both and make all of us feel bad about ourselves.
  18. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I didnt realize jaoc was that ugly... man I know he didn't get any women because of his looks
  19. beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's Jaco looking prettier:
    and here's the definitive portrait -- the cover of his first album:

Best ask the ladies. I bet he did okay.
  20. Hey now, he's just making a face cause of how hard he was rocking when the pic was taken. Here's a better one:

Anyway, back on topic. I usually play my Schecter Stiletto (24 frets) so when I switch to my fretless (20 frets) I do feel like I'm missing something. Then sometimes I play my friends 12-string which has 27 frets and I don't know what to do with them:meh: