Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You don't wanna buy this head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryJ, Jul 24, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I tried an Ampeg VB-4 yesterday-
    Oh, man,it sounded so fine- Ampeg has got that full rich round sound dialed in- I got bad g.a.s.
    to get one of these, "cause it was DARK.
    So you don't wanna buy one of these - that way I can sound more unique!:D

2. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

Do you mean a V4-B and not a VB-4?? I've played through a V4-B myself....into an Ampeg 8x10 that was about as old as the amp was (at least). It was at an outdoor gig at one end of a football field and you could hear me just fine at the other end with no mic'ing at all. Sweet tone, too.

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    was it a new one? if so, you need to find a vintage one. the same applies to these as with the 70s SVT, theres no comparison between the old ones and the new ones. still a sweet amp though.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    1st off, my typo- it was a V4BH!
    A new one!
    And....I bought it! I hadda have it! I also scored
    a GREAT matching cab with it:
    New "old stock" SVT48HE- 4x8 w/ horn.
    What TIGHT combo- This sounds so good with both
    my passive '69 P-Bass & active Sterling- I am lovin'
    bass-playing life right now!
    I've heard that the older V4's, like the old SVT's
    are more prized. Why is that? I thought that Ampeg duplicated the circuitry on these, like the Portaflex reissue, etc. I have the same vibe on my '69 Precision- just something about a 30+ year old slab I guess.
    I now own a G-K MB150S, a Mesa Buster Wedge
    sitting on top of a 1x 15 Diesel Cab, and now THIS!
    When the Ultra-low is pushed in on the Ampeg,
    .....sounds real good!
    I think I'm done with amps now, but then again,
    the new PortaBass looks good- And- Polytone makes a new Mini-Brain that's supposed to be...
    :D

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No, I don't wanna buy one....

....because I already have one!!! :D:D

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Then you KNOW!!!!!

(he says, as he pushes "ultra-low" and moves into a universe of incredibly rich and thick sound.....)

:D

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Man where did you score that 4x8 I've been searching everywhere.

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Got Lucky!
    When I decided to check out the V4BH, I found that they were pretty rare-I did find a local dealer
    who had one, played through it & the decision was made- it sounded so awesome The head was in a rack w/ other Ampegs, all connected to one cab.
    I thought the cab was a 4x10; I was told different-then I snatched it! I'm sure glad I did- This configuration is beautiful- fast, deep, & articulate, also very compact for such a big sound!
    Eventually, I think I'll add a 1x15 as well, but no rush! This works by itself...
    Hope you find one- you know the drill, E-bay, BassGear.com, here, etc.
    I was looking for a NOS Diesel cab, & had 3-4 responses before finding one at a Dealer in Vegas!
    So there's probably one out there that someone will part with- Can't figure why they quit producing certain items.:cool: