1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You ever pick up a bass so good

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Nov 6, 2018.

1. That you immediately put it back/ away because everything else would feel bad after it? I’m not talking about tone, but about the feel of the neck, weight and the playability.

It might have happened to me with the stingray classic.

JMacBass65, scottm, Ellery and 6 others like this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Ummm...No.

If it feels that good it might follow me home, if it sounds decent.

3. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Honestly doesn't sound like the logical thing to do.

No!

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    No. I tend to setup my own basses so that they feel that way. Otherwise, they don't stay for long, or they don't come home with me at all.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A refin '63 P bass at Carter Vintage in Nashville a few years ago literally made me sweat before I even plugged it in.

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi bassestkkm :)

Once I picked up a Ritter and immediately put it back!

Thought that my bank account would feel very bad. :laugh:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Mili, Davbassdude, Ellery and 8 others like this.
  7. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    A Drake model 7. It followed me home followed by its fretless brother a year later and then mom and dad.

Mili, EdwardofHuncote and ajkula66 like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

infrequently, but i've learned to tell the difference between axes which will come around to a 'perfect' feel and those that won't.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The only bass I ever genuinely regretted playing was a Wal Mk1. It’s totally out of my price range. And I very much want a Wal Mk1. :laugh:

10. The last time I went to the studio, it was the studio owned by Los Planetas, a famous Spanish band. The producer insisted that I should use the jazz bass the had in the studio (which is the one that the bass player of the band uses) instead of mine. The bass they had it was an American Standard Jazz Bass (I don't know the year of production). The strings were heavily used roundwound (they didn't sound as roundwounds). I was not gonna like it... But after some discussion, I accepted to record some songs with it. It was just awesome. I cannot describe how good it sounded and how comfortable it was to play. It was just wow!. I finally recorded half of the album with it. So far, the best bass I've ever played).

11. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Every time I pick up an Ibanez Sound Gear bass.

12. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    A couple of Stenbacks when they were brought to the London bass show a few years ago. Some vintage jazzed I've tried, all the awesome ones were way beyond my price range though. Also one particular Japanese Fender Marcus Miller sig, I hated that model; the pickguard, the preamp, I couldn't stand maple fretboards at the time. That one felt so good though, I had to have it, and luckily the owner accepted my offer. I bought two more shortly afterwards to see if all of them are this good, and to keep the best one. The original one stayed.

13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I bought a Fodera sight unseen. Best instrument purchase I’ve ever made lol.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No. But I’ve played so many incredibly nice basses that I’ve lost the desire to try most things at your average GC.

15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm so intrigued by these but don't even know where I would go to feel one. Not that I'm into paying 5 or 6k for a bass, but I keep telling myself that is probably hate their feel to talk myself off the ledge.

Davbassdude likes this.
  16. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    I just had to have the bridge re-glued on a J-45 and while I was there, the Luthier whose shop it was had recently finished a chambered, offset, setneck short-scale bass with the most lovely flamed maple neck. I started to pick it up, but thought better of plugging it in, as I just don't have the $$ right now, and it would have been really hard to leave it there once playing it.

17. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Hum mm, yes and I kept it. If it is that good why would you care about other basses after getting it... :meh:

pellomoco14 and Ellery like this.
  18. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I did the same with my Marleaux Contra. The best purchase I’ve made. Prior to that the best bass I had ever played was a Fodera.

Element Zero and HolmeBass like this.
  19. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Every Roscoe that’s every been plekk’ed & setup by Keith @ Roscoe, that Ive ever /do own, will amaze you!
    Incredible setup.. killer Roscoe tone included!

20. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I have not.