You find your gtr plyr's ad on Craig's list?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BulkHead, Mar 3, 2006.

1. BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Here's the deal:
    Drummer and I have stuck together for 10+ yrs, we both have toddlers and heavy duty day jobs, we found chemistry with this gtr player 7 yrs ago, the 3 of us have stuck together through 3 singers, we met our final puzzle piece 2 yrs ago in a singer/gtr player, this is the best project we have ever done, no live gigs yet, but we are almost done with our CD in my studio. We used to play out 3 nights a week with this guy in question before we got the new singer.That was 2 1/2 yrs ago. The ad mentions he has a current band, and it doesn't say he wants to leave it, but .....

How would you react?
  2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm confused:

Your CURRENT guitarist is looking for another band? If so, just ask him about it. Maybe he's looking to leave, but maybe he just wants a side band. Either way, you need to talk calmly about it.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Shoot him in the back!
  4. BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Sorry, not clear enough: it's a 4 piece, the guy w/the ad is 8 yrs younger, single no kids. We can't see our band without him, just wondering how others would react.
    I agree, calmness is my mantra in these situations.
  5. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas

Mention that you saw the ad, just as callllm as you please, and see what he says.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

He may just be looking for another project for
    a change of sound or style. Or an original project.
    I would just ask him, it's not like you are married
    or anything.

SMUSH has had 2 or 3 projects going at once. To some
    people its not a big deal.
  7. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm willing to bet he's looking for a side project or something like that, I mean if he didn't specifically say that he wanted to leave then I don't see the cause for alarm on your part. Just ask him about it casually, and see what he says. Remember to act like an adult. :)

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    7 years with you and the drummer.
    2.5 years of which you have a new singer.
    use to play out 3 nights a week prior to new singer.
    no live gigs now....

What's the saying, no gigs in a year it ain't a band, it's a jam.

Call him up, ask if everythings ok. Find out if he wants to push the band in a little different direction or something. I quit a ripping project in the 90s that had the best players I've delt with to date... 2 years farting around the same handful of studio recorded tunes and it got real old real quick. The drummer followed me.
  11. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Reply to his ad and audition for his new project. You know you like his playing . . .
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  13. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If he mentions he's already in a band, that would lead me to believe it's a side thing, but who know's, he may be jonesing to gig. Ask him, you don't think he'll quit cause you ask him do you?
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like hes hankering for a gig, let him have it. Just ask him about it, but don't be to confrontational.
  15. +1

I always let other people know ahead of time though that I get around... I guess he should've been courteous enough to mention that, but ah well.
  16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I guess when you ask "How would you react?" you mean "Should I feel threatened?" and I would answer "no" to that. First of all you're not a band that has a touring schedule or anything like that, you folks don't do any gigs. Some people believe a band is a marraige, which is cool, but even they break up, the members drift apart or have different ideas of where it should go. It's quite conceivable for a person to be involved in various projects and still be comitted to yours, many people in bands can't wrap their head around this idea and around that idea that fresh ideas come from doing more than just one thing.