You get $6,000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txmulletrocker, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L. L. Elwood

L. L. Elwood Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Colorado
    I'd buy a 2017 or 2018 Fender Jazz Elite 5 string for about 1500 bucks and invest the rest in ethereum.

2. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    I'd buy enough tools for a modest lutheire workshop, build myself a bass and then build more for people that have 6k to sink into a bass. Teach a man to fish and all that.

mikewalker likes this.
  3. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    That looks like worship but in pretty sure it is not the right kind.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play a gig where, certain weeks there is a woman playing a harp, a grand piano, even a cellist. Even if I bought a Fodera, a bass guitar (ANY bass guitar) is NOT ostentatious in the least. Bass guitars are cheap.

5. akukulich

akukulich Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I’d think about F Bass, Fodera, MTD, Sadowsky and Smith. I’d do a lot of research, play as many basses as you can until you develop a very clear idea of what you want. A lot of these basses have very specific voices, or the voice of the instruments can be shaped be the selection of woods used in their construction. It can get overwhelming. You can also talk to the builders. If you know what you’re after, they can help you figure out how to get it.

31HZ likes this.
  6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    People often forget this point. We have it very good.

mikewalker and JoshS like this.
  7. groovepump

groovepump

Aug 3, 2020
    Ibanez SRH505F. No reason to blow the whole wad on a bass. My MOST played basses are all assembled by me and cost somewhere around $250 or less. I make good money with them and have a great time doing it.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Agreed. While it’s possible today to get a decent playing bass for very little money, that doesn’t mean that high end basses are extravagant.

JoshS likes this.
  9. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Unless it is a bass player, no one in the congregation is going to know if you are on a $250 [whatever] or a $6000 [whatever]. Chances are, 2/3 of them won't even see you. You can use this to make a case for any option. Play what makes you happy, makes you feel confident, and doesn't break your bank.

bgartist and groovepump like this.
  10. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Sarcasm, right?

31HZ likes this.
  11. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    I’m not a 5 string player. Last time I was at bass club Chicago they had several 4 string NYC will Lee’s for 4500 or so. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that NYC 5ers can go for over $6k but I am a little surprised that you can’t get one for less.

12. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Florida, USA
    I’d of course go with the most expensive choice, some Fodera with golden hardware…and then suggest the band to sing a hymn that cites Proverbs 11:12 “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom”.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can get them for less, but $6k-$7k NYC’s are getting pretty common on their website.

14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    5 string Cort B series and $5400 to spend on other stuff.

15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I should clarify. It's not ostentatious if you have the means to spend that freely and also give to the church. But most of us would probably spend less on a tool and give more to the church.

The question wasn't just "what should I buy?" The question was posited in this way that mentioned it was part of a church gig, which sort of equates to an offering, so there are things that go along with that. If you just want to know how to spend $6K, my answer is I really don't care. Knock yourself out and get what makes you happy. But if you're bringing church into it then it makes sense to think about your needs and the needs of the church, too. And maybe also the needs of the community the church (hopefully) serves and what could be done with that money besides buying a nice bass.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Nuage420 likes this.
  16. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    I don't understand why there's so much salt in this thread.
    Of course I'm a huge MuB fan, so they always get my vote. Other top contenders would be an MTD 535, Ken smith Black tiger, Used Fodera, Skjold, or if you can find one a Nordy VJ5.

17. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    Oof. Great playing and sounding basses, really none “better” available at any price. But to me that price tag is reserved for basses with a high level of artistry/exotic qualities which I don’t normally associate with the typical sadowsky.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They have fancy tops.:)

3bc likes this.
  19. wheelsup247

wheelsup247 Wherever You Go, There You Are. Wear it low. Gold Supporting Member

So OP...let me answer your question with a question...the $6000 is your own money, correct? It’s not like someone is actually giving you $6000 to buy a bass with, correct?

20. Drummerboy2

Drummerboy2

Aug 31, 2016
    SoCal
    I would get either a MTD 535 for 5 string or a Alembic 4 string :D

My Lakland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe should work well for the Gospel music.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.