You get $6,000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txmulletrocker, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesuguru

Jesuguru Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    DC area (for now)
    Never heard a hymn with that Proverb. But such an offbeat hymnwriter might also have quoted Matthew 7:7, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged."

31HZ likes this.
  2. dmas81

dmas81 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Finally someone that has close to a clue. Every other comment I read was a bunch of guys who aren’t at all familiar with the gospel genre (both CCM and Black Gospel) suggesting a bunch of rock basses.

If you are playing black gospel, go get you an MTD, Roscoe, Warrior, BassMods, Lakland, or Smith.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nope.

4. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I would buy absolutely the cheapest $79 WalMart-ready piece of crap 5-string I could find...

...and then spend the rest on an old, old Fender P or J.

sorry

EDIT: scanned a couple replies. I’d be that guy that plays gospel on an old Fender. Changes the game.

(Or rather, changes it back.)(See: Aretha Franklin, “Amazing Grace”)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  5. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    For $6k on a single bass - Sadowsky NYC, MTD, or Dingwall.

If it was my money and I had to spend it on basses - fretted and fretless EBMM Stingray 5h’s (fretless would have to be used since no current fretless from EBMM and a new fretted special and a used BFR fretless five would be around $6k).

If I had to spend $6k on music equipment - a new Stingray special 5h and a bunch of pedals from Gamechanger, Death by Audio, Glou Glou, Fairfield Circuitry, and JPTR Fx.

6. Mine does :)

7. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I’d get a Ric 4003S and tune it EADGC.. ALL HAIL CTHULU!

498CD9E0-2C22-47D9-93B0-F669A6818497.jpeg

mikewalker and Beej like this.

8. I never said I don't own any basses. It was somewhat hypothetical. I have been playing bass for about 20 years. Bought and sold a lot. Been through more basses, amps, and pedal board variations than I can remember. I learned somewhere along the way that I prefer simplicity and quality. I currently play a Lakland DJ4 with a J/Retro direct into an Avalon U5. Unfortunately, there are no music stores in DFW that regularly stock the kind of basses I'm considering. The Guitar Sanctuary is about the best we have, but even they are lacking in the high-end bass area. Beyond that, I'm really just curious what others would choose in my same situation.

SemiDriven and mikewalker like this.

9. :roflmao: I love the term "skinny jean worship." I'm stealing that. It's actually mostly skinny jean worship, but I prefer playing more gospel stuff. That's my conundrum.

Element Zero and RichSnyder like this.
  10. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Modern worship music is primarily made up of 4 chords: I vi IV V.
    That's $1500/note.

(Get an Elrick. You'll thank me.)

zie likes this.
  11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Pretty sure God doesnt care what bass you play, how many strings it has or how skinny your jeans are

tb-player likes this.
  12. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    I would get a Smith and spent the rest on Weed!

WillyWonka likes this.
  13. Would if I could. Stupid Texas laws.

14. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    It’s a “let’s pretend” game folks.

Skip the lectures and lessons on thrift and responsibilities, just name your bass.

I’d get Sheldon Dingwall involved.

Afterburner 2.

31HZ likes this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I didn’t read all 8 pages but I hate the “I’d get a $10 bass and invest the rest” responses. It’s a play along scenario. If you’re not going to play along, don’t post. We all know you don’t need to spend $6K. :banghead:

If you need a gospel 5 string you’re getting a Smith, or MTD or maybe even a Roscoe. I think I could get a Roscoe to $6K if I went Signature with fancy wood, matching headstock and back, stuff like that. Same with MTD or Smith. Those are the go to gospel basses for sure.

31HZ and JoshS like this.
  16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Here in the NE that’s easy $7,000 just to get a reputable company at the table. Mine wound up $8.5k and a “reputable” company still did a fecal job. If I had $6,000 to spend on a bass, I’d put that coin in the bank. It’s not a knock, it’s just what I’d do.

ok, I might buy a $3,000 bass.

mongo2 likes this.
  17. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    Hookers and blow. Oh wait you said modern church. I go to old school church.

bearhart74 and mikewalker like this.

18. Oh trust me -I'm MORE than "familiar".........but I get what you are saying....In the meantime, you might ask Darrel Mansfield or Glenn Kaiser.... or even Larnelle Harris.... :thumbsup:

19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

You’re right and I’ll play along. IF a budding prospective gospel bassist decides they want what you say they “need”, they’ll have to get paid for said gospel work, and very handsomely. Let’s say the budding (but very talented...I mean, why not? It’s playing along, right?) has to work a minimum wage job and forks half of it over to their fam to get by. All in service to the lord? Gotta have that bonafide gospel bass. Their choices are taking out a line of credit (excellent decision!), or playing something else until they can afford what is considered the standard...

I’m not trying to be combative but I do feel that you are promoting an ideal that puts gear over music. Lots of young gospel players make due with what they have. I see where where your sentiment is at, but it sounds no different than “you need a P with flats to play any Motown song” or a Hofner to sound like Macca. Come on.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Saving money isn't any fun. I save plenty out of every paycheck, and I get not one ounce of enjoyment out of my efforts. I earmark a little bit of money out of every paycheck for "toys" and I get immense pleasure out of that.

Of course nobody needs to spend $6k on a bass, but if your income is $250k per year, a $6k bass is a lot cheaper than a $1000 bass to somebody that makes $35k a year. It is all relative.

When I think high-end gospel, I think of Smith. That's where I'd spend my dollars. My current personal preferences lean towards Dingwall, Sadowsky and Warwick, but I don't play gospel.

MordBass, JoshS and mysteryclock like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.