Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YOU GOT TO CHECK THIS OUT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheesepuff921, Sep 27, 2000.

1. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    HELP ME. IF ANY BASS PLAYER HAS A FENDER FRONTMAN !%B HELP ME. IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP AND IT AINT HE BASS> HOW CAN I FIX IT? WHAT SHOULD THE DIALS BE SET AT? HOW CAN I HOOK UP BIGGER SPEAKERS (I KNOW HOW TO HOOK THEM UP BUT WHAT KIND OF SPEAKERS?) THANKS EMAIL ME AT CHEESEPUFF921@aol.com or contact me by aim or icq thanks guys

2. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    OK DONT HELP ME YOU GUYS HEHE

3. I'm a little confused twords what you want people to do. you waited a total of 3 min. for an answer and made a statement that i THINK is sarcastic, not sure, cause i havnt noticed many of your posts. First off DONT TYPE IN CAPS, IT MAKES PEOPLE THINK YOUR YELLING!

about the amp, if its the Fender frontman 15, then you cant add any other speakers because of the design of the amp. If it sounds like crap, thats probly cause your pushing it too hard. also, my friend as one of these, and his sounded like crap from the start so its not like yours is much different. if you want better tone, buy another amp. thats basicly the only solution

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Mutt, your intentions are good, but we have to wait a bit until his mentality catches up with his biology (and I say this in a beautiful, loving way).

Hard to believe he's about the same age as Bisk, innit?

Will C.:cool:

5. The Frontman 15 is nothing more than a 15 w practice amp. Adding a cabinet, even if that was possible, would not alter the fact that it is a 15 w practice amp. It's good for playing alone or to accompany an acoustic guitsr. Nothing more.

Get a more powerful amp.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Just turn all the knobs and sliders up as far as they can go. that oughta do the trick.

7. Or maybe going to the shop buying a better one would solve the problem once and for all! :)

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hey Cheese, you asked this question 3x's in this forum and basically all your'e going to get is the same answers. It's a small practice amp meant to be played at LOW volume. Not much power to push those low frequencies out. If you want good tone, get yourself a better combo amp rated at least 50w. SWR workingman combos are nice and so are the Ampeg combos. Other than that not much else you can do. So start saving your pennies NOW!

9. Does it go to 11 !?

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    All of the comments above, plus: please don't continually and repetively post the same question over and over again. We'll do everything that we can to help you, but sometimes no one has an answer to your questions and sometimes you just need to give everyone a little time to see your post. But please, don't use up precious bandwidth with multiple posts about the same thing! Thanks.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    We did this on the pickup post. My advice was to turn it up halfway with the eq flat and then make minor adjustments.
    I will elaborate. A cheap practice amp will share componants like transformers knobs jacks and plugs etc with expensive ones, so to keep the cost down they skimp on speakers etc. You are not going to get a worldclass tone out of your amp. Also solid state amps stay clean up to a point and then they lose the plot. Solid state power section distortion or saturation is not pleasant. You are going to have to save for a 100watt plus amp. If you think this is unfair then try buying a violin!

As stated there are many people here who are willing to help but if you ask repetitive questions you will pee them off. Take your bass to a shop and try some amps see whats about for what price. Save up and then get a shortlist. Post that shortlist here for advice. Keep coming here because all are welcome.

12. LOL, i love that line in Spinal Tap... "Look at this amp, i had it custom made, it goes to 11"
    "why dont you just get one what has more power?"
    "No, but my amp goes to 11"
    I have two copies of Spinal Tap, one on laser disk, and one on dvd... Lovem both.

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    ALSO, IF YOU'RE GOING TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS, SAVE YOURSELF A COUPLE OF CALORIES AND USE THE "CAPS LOCK" KEY INSTEAD OF HOLDING DOWN THE "SHIFT" KEY FOR YOUR ENTIRE POST. THAT WILL KEEP 15B FROM LOOKING LIKE !%B, AND HELP PREVENT NEEDLESS REPETITIVE MOTION INJURIES.

:rolleyes:

14. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY

You guys are really anal about this all caps thing. Get a grip.

15. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Bravo! That's exactly the wrong method!

Every amp has it's limit wich you have to accept. If you just crank all knobs, the amp will be clipping for sure and therefor sound like crap.

First you have to set the input gain properly (usually about half way up, depending on the output level of the bass) than the EQ (or tone controls) and finally the master. Usually you can't turn the master all the way up - you have to stop and back off a little as soon you hear distortion.
    Voil√°, that's the maximum your amp can put out.
    With 15W amp this will not be very much - don't even think of practicing with a band.

Matthias