1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You guessed it... another "keep or sell" (50's Sting Sig.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtrom, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Keep it you silly boy!

87 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Sell it ya' goof!

51 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. I don't give a care!

29 vote(s)
    19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    So I have a "keep or sell" question. I realize that everything is subjective and personal but I'm wanting to hear your experiences/thoughts

It's regarding my Fender MIJ Sting Signature Bass. It was the FIRST real bass I bought and I played it for many many years.

As I progressed in skill I realized that the bass wasn't giving me the sound that I wanted so I bought a Lolar pickup for it... STILL not the sound I wanted. So the single coil isn't my thing. At all. Ever. It has sat in my closet for about 10 years and the other day I dug it out. LOVE the look. LOVE the feel. Can't stand the sound :bored:

If I could find a pickup that made it sound like a big phat thumping pbass (I have Bill Lawrence p's in my 2 other basses) I would play it every day until I die. I can't really afford to go pup shopping and experiment with different pickups. sooooo ...... ?

Have any of you been in a similar situation? What was your ultimate revelation? Regret? Glad you sold? Still have a bass in your 20 year old closet? Sentiment has me by the ****! :D

IMG_5218.

ExaltBass likes this.
  2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Actually. I guessed “Which pickguard looks best with my Squier J bass.” Oh well, carry on.

3. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    I voted for all 3 options. :D

It seems to have sentimental value and plays great, therefore you should keep it.
    It doesn't sound the way you want it to, therefore you should sell it.
    It isn't my bass, therefore I don't give a care :D

Maybe get it routed for a pickup that you like? Or keep the neck and sell the body?

4. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    I've definitely thought about the router job. It's in the back of my mind for sure. Would probably do another pbass pickup in it... it's not like I NEED the money, I'm just pragmatic and don't like things sitting around for years haha

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Keep it and have it routed for a TV Jones Thunderblade pickup.

6. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I voted "Keep it".

I considered selling my 1988 Carvin fretless many times after I stopped playing around 1994, thinking "I'll never pick this back up again". I don't know whether it was nostalgia or just plain old laziness, but I never did.

Fast forward to 2018 and lo and behold, I get the playing bug again. I've been so happy to have it every day since I picked it back up. It is home; my oldest friend. It is the bass against which I compare all others, and only my newly acquired Pedulla exceeds it. Yet, I still gravitate back to my Carvin. I don't have to think about playing it; I just do it.

As to yours and the sound, keep it, and when you get some spare $, see if a good luthier can find a pickup that will suite your taste (here's a possibility: Split '51 P-Bass - Lindy Fralin Pickups ), or maybe even modify it to fit a pickup style that you know you like.

Don't get rid of it; you'll regret it and be searching for it, or one like it, for a long time after. There are too many stories here on TB about "lost loves." ;)

7. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Relic

8. It sounds like you love the bass so wait until you can afford a new pickup/electronics ... maybe post the pickup question in the "Pickups" forum.

jtrom and JRA like this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

That or a ThunderBucker! :woot::thumbsup:

Robert B, Gaolee, Haroldo and 4 others like this.
  10. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i voted "keep" just because it would be my method these days --- and to modify it to make it one of my mains. but that's just my version of "practical."

i hope you arrive at a decision which works the best for you! good luck! :thumbsup:

jtrom likes this.
  12. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    At this time. But down the road, you may. Combine that with being your first real bass, I'd keep it. It's beautiful!

jtrom likes this.
  13. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I say keep unless you need to fund something specific. Don’t sell unless you have a good reason.

Or try different strings. On my 51 MIJ reissue I had Ken Smith Compressor strings. Sounded amazing.

Iofflight and mikezimmerman like this.
  14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    You mentioned you had tried a Lollar pickup. Is that a humbucking? I have a SD stacked humbucking in my '56, no routing necessary, same look, but a thicker sound.
    As with all pickup swaps, your bass will have the same "voice" but you can significantly shift the frequency response and output with a different type of pickup in there... and I tried (and currently use) a stacked humbucking.

petch, basscapes, Sub-hoo-fer and 6 others like this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^This^^^ Then kick yourself for not having done it ten years ago.

Slater likes this.
  16. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Interesting... that Fralin mentioned is a side-by side humbucking. Again, made to fit your bass without modification.

Basspirate69, TN WOODMAN and Eric ER like this.
  17. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Ya I'm not exactly sure if it's the hum bucking one but it's a very quiet pickup (in terms of white noise sound). Nothing to complain about on that front.. unless my basses voice is the issue! perhaps... another can of worms haha. It's a very thin sound with massive peaks in the mids. If I play too hard it spikes and clips and is just a thin sound. With both the original pickup and the Lollar I've tried different strings and pickup height and amps and pre's etc. same thin middy sound

18. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Ya I just looked that up. Looks very interesting! Lots of punch from what I heard.

Iofflight and Linnin like this.
  19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Pick up the phone and call Lollar, tell them what’s up, see what they say. Sounds weird, I think Lollar singles are the best.

Iofflight and diegom like this.
  20. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Gonna go out on a limb... try different strings yet?

mikezimmerman likes this.