Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

you guys be the judge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jun 19, 2002.

1. I am going to have about 900 dollars to spend on a bass head. I need it to be the last one for me..i dont want to have to upgrade to anything louder for a long long time if at all. what are some of your suggestions on an amp set up for me? like whether it be racked mounted, pre-amp/power amp, or just a non-mounted head. I play primarily jazz basses, im a big jazz bass freak, i have an ampeg 410bse on top of an SWR son of bertha 1-15. I play indie rock, with some hardcore over tones, I use my fingers mostly, and i use a pick occassionally, i also dabble around in jazz. I would like an amp that could maybe provide a little bit of distortion, not alot though. well any suggestions would rock, any and all! thanks

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Whatever you get, make sure it goes down to 2 ohms.

3. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I saw an SWR SM-900 on bassgear.com the other day for $895. You could land quite a few top of the line amps for around $900. Or even go with a dcm2000 and throw a used pre in there.
    The DCM is $550 new or a little more. You could land a used SWR Interstellar Overdrive for about $400-$450 off of ebay, and if you don't need 2000 watts always downsize to a 1000 watt amp and that opens up more money. Look around the deals are out there. If you go power amp and pre e-mail lord valve and you could probably land a great QSC amp for a good price. Just compare all your options and then go for what you like best.
    Brad

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...For 900, you could snag a poweramp (for sake of argument, Carvin's DCM1000, at about $370) and a nice preamp, like say the SWR IOD or Grand Prix, Peavey Max (don't laugh, I hear they aren't anything to sneeze at), even the humble Yamaha PB-1 (only 100 bucks used!) is supposed to be a great preamp.

Power out the whazoo, and some serious tone going on!