1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

you guys gave me the idea.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbwilson, Sep 9, 2008.

1. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    I opened a forum about getting the best of both worlds, lows and highs. i thought a 212 would be good but then someone mentioned why not a 210 and 115. i had a total brain fart and didn't even think of that option. So what 210 and 115 cabs would you suggest i pair up? I'm looking to spend 900 combined, i will spend more but JEEZ its already a lot of money.

2. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    Anyone?

3. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I only advocate this with Bi-amping

Make sure you have your SPL head room matched between boxes Extra head room in the bottom is better.

4. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    sorry i would say i'm not stupid anymore about amps but i'm not to smart what exactly do you mean i have a GK 700rb btw.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    GK head, then why not GK spkr cabs? I like it when stuff matches.

6. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    thats what i was thinking i have never played the RBX stuff but it is pretty reasonably priced anybody played these cabs and not liked them or loved them?

7. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    That's purely aesthetic, has nothing to do with how it will perform.

TBwillson:

Read up on Bi Amping Educate yourself

8. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    so far it sounds like i have to replace a crossover or something i really dont wanna break open the cab..... cant you buy these bi amp cabs?

9. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    No, you will need another amplifier...one to power each cabinet. You will need a crossover to send the lows to the 15 and the highs to the 2-10's. I don't know if your current amp has a crossover in it, but if you choose this route you can find heads w/ built in crossovers where that head can power one of the cabs and send the output of the crossover to your other amp input to power your other cab. Usually you use your higher powered amp to power the lows. I've only done this w/ the head that has a built in crossover (Peaveys), so I don't know anything about a stand alone crossover...but I'd find a variable crossover where you can choose the frequency cutoff of where you split the lows and highs.

10. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    well i have no idea about the biamping i read about and i am still in the dark. i thought my head was bi amp able...?

11. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    You could also get an effects unit/amp emulator with stereo outs and do the crossover like that. That way you can use stereo effects if you're into that sort of thing.

12. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    i just don't really know what anyones talking about right now it would probably be best to just tell me exactly whats bi amping will do and what i need to buy.

13. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    "Bi-amp" means having two amps for your cabinet(s).

But,
    almost every head has at least two speaker outputs though, to where you can daisy chain or just use a cable to each cabinet.

14. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    If your profile is up to date, your gk 700 rb is bi-ampable. It has a 480W amp and a 50W amp. I'm not sure what you want to power w/ 50W, but I'm not sure if is enough for a 2-10 cabinet that you desire. Read your manual...it may help you understand bi-amping.

Are you completly un-happy w/ the two 410's listed in your profile? I wouldn't consider your equipment too shabby at all. :confused:

Good Luck on your search for the sound.

15. thebean

thebean

Jan 23, 2007
    Bi amping in simple terms is as followed. Bass goes to pre-amp, pre-amp goes to crossover, crossover takes pre-amp signal and splits it into two different signals, one is the lows, low mids and one is the highs and high mids. On your crossover you'll be able to choose at what frequency the crossover splits. Which means you could have all of your mids and highs going to the 2X10 and just the lows going to your 1X15 or however you want it. Your crossover will have 2 or 3 outputs depending on your crossover. You will take the highs and lows output and plug one into one channel of your power amp and the other one into the other channel and then out to your cabs. So say you have the lows in ch 1, you will plug the ch 1 spk out to your 1X15 and ch 2 to your 2X10. Thats Bi-amping in a nutshell.

If anyone who is wiser about bi-amping wants to explain in detail please feel free.

16. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    OH don't get me wrong my equiptment is not bad at all BUT i love having the best tone i can and its not with those 410's i have a brother that plays bass and i know i could sell them at a good price to him. i just want somethings to sound better. so if i were to run a 210 and 115 from my GK only 50 watts would be going to the 210's is that enough? I'm reading through my manual and im still confused do these cabs have to be bi amp able?

17. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Sounds better is really subjective

What is this ultimate sound you crave?

Can you describe it?

18. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    i want something really smooth when i slap my low E i want to feel it in my chest but have it sound wicked nice, then pluck a G or D have clarity and stand out. i think the 210 and 115 will make my sound good either way i just dont know about this bi amping.

19. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I run an Ampeg SVT III Pro through a SVT210HE and an SVT115 and it kills. The 210 /115 is an absolutely smashing combo. I don't biamp. I used to run a 410 and was always happy with the articulation, but never felt the lows in the same way that I do having that 15. The 2 10's keep the high end straight. I love my Ampeg gear but if I were starting again I'd probably check out Aguilar or Markbass since Ampeg discontinued the 210. You can usually pick them up for about 150-200 bills used though.
    I paid$350 used for the head 10 years ago and $200 for each of the cabs within the past year. Not bad for $750

20. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    i was looking at a peavey 210 tour and a 115 tour, i pick those because i know i can play them and i have heard them they sound pretty good.