1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

you guys gave me the idea.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbwilson, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Peavy stuff is reliable. And it sounds good, but usually that's it ... good. Not great, but clean and deep. It's also usually very reasonably priced. I have a little peavy practice amp that I keep in my office and every once in a while I'm surprised by how good it sounds.

If you can play them that's always a plus.

Any particular reason you'd be going with the tour series and not the TVX series?

2. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    A lot of people use some sort of compression to get a good slap tone.

3. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    I thought there was a general consensus that the tours sounded better... i could be wrong extremely wrong :bag:

4. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I've never heard the tours, so you could also be extremely right! :)

5. IMO, this thread has placed WAY too much emphasis on bi-amping. Also IMO,the GK bi-amping feature is useful in only a limited number of cases where the components within a single cab have the drivers, crossovers and inputs that facilitate bi-amping. Most GK owners I know don't use the bi-amping feature.

The cabs in my default rig are a Bergantino HT115 & a Bergantino HT210, one of the all-time classic combinations (though both cabs are now discontinued). They are a little bulky, but I absolutely love the sound of this combination. I'm an admitted headroom freak, however, and would not try to drive these cabs with less than 1,000 watts, which brings me to a second issue this thread really hasn't addressed: with 480 watts (@4ohms), your G-K 700RB has limited power for a 2x10 + 1x15 combination of good quality cabs. Bag End makes and has made some cabinets that might work, but it may be a challenge to find the right combination on the used market. 2x10 + 1x15 cabinets are available from a number of quality cabinet manufacturers (Aguilar, Bag End, Dr. Bass, Epifani, Eden, etc.); but, personally, I would want more power than your G-K700RB produces to drive them. 2x10 and 1x15 cabs are available from lesser-quality manufacturers; but, IME, compromising on cabinet quality is almost always a mistake. Your G-K 700RB deserves better.

Another factor is the combined, net resistance of two cabinets. I'm not aware that your G-K 700RB is rated to drive a 2-ohm load, so your 2x10 + 1x15 cabinet pair would have to be 8 ohms each (and connected in parallel, of course) to produce a net 4-ohm load.

Personally, I wouldn't abandon the option of a single, good quality 2x12 or 4x10 cab.

Just my $.02

Bluesy Soul :cool:

6. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    +1 That was buried in my original reply. Don't worry about bi-amping. Find two balanced 8 ohm cabs that you can run in parallel.

My Svt III pro is rated at 450@4ohms (which some people consider to be an ambitious estimation) and I've never needed more headroom with the 210 / 115 Ampeg setup.

7. Why would you suggest biamping two full range cabinets? That doesn't make much sense to me (especially since most 210's are actually tuned lower than most compact 115 cabs these days). Biamping made some sense with bass back in the day when you have poorly executed cabs (like 118's that rolled off way before the upper midrange, and 12's and 10's that really didn't have any low end capability). These days, with full range, multiway bass cabs with good passive crossovers, tweeters, etc., there doesn't seem to be any need for the extra cost, weight, size and complexity of multiple power amps, etc.

Regarding the 'biamp' capability of the GK head, that system is designed to power the woofers separately from the tweeter (there is a low powered amp that drives just the very highest frequency). This only makes sense to use if you like a distorted type grindy tone. From reading the GK literature, their design goal was to allow the player to get the classic GK tone (a little grindy and raw) coming out of the woofers, but then sending a clean signal to the tweeter for some additional sparkle up top (distorted tone through a tweeter can be quite nasty sounding). It's a cool idea, but again, kind of overkill unless you are really into the unusual combination of a grindy, growly, somewhat pushed tone, with the addition of clean sparkle up top.

Most seem to just use those larger GK heads full range (since you pretty much have to have a GK cab to use the internal biamp capability (i.e., splitting the signal between the woofers and tweeter in a single cab).

Edit: The Dr. Bass stuff looks pretty impressive for a low cost option.

8. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    +1. Biamping is cool but not nessicary. Especially in this case. You have a nice head, you just need some nice cabs. No need to make it any more complicated than that.

9. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    for the relativley small 210/115 combo biamping might be a bit more trouble than it's worth. if your head was an 800rb then i might be inclined to recommend it. with a 700 the biamp feature is pretty much useless. the trick is finding a 210 and 115 that play nice together. this is going to be trial and error. i would spend more money on the 210 and buy that first because it's going to have more impact on your general tone than the 15. (it'll probably also be the first cab you grab if you only grab one) then find a 15 that sounds good with that particular 210.

from an audiophile standpoint, running the 210/115 configuration full range is a horrible idea, but it's been done successfully for decades. many bass players would hate a studio flat response if they ever tried it, and the sonic imperfections caused by configurations like this are the bees knees for many players. if you were putting together a system to play music through i would say it's a horrible idea, but for your particular bass tone who can say. there aren't any easy answers you're going to have to try some stuff out in context.

10. Get a GK 210RBH and a 115 RBH cabinet. I had that stack with a 700 a couple of years back and it roars! You get nice punch from the 210 and the bottom end filled out with the 115. GK's 115RBH is very punchy for a 15 inch speaker. It does not get mushy at all. I use 2 x115 in conjunction with 2 x 410.

With these cabinets you get to use the bi-amping capabilities of the 700. I know some people don't believe that makes a difference but I like having control of the high end. I do notice a difference in sound when I run my cabs in full range. I prefer the bi-amped way.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Buy used MIA Ampeg Classic cabs. You should be able to find 2x10 and 1x15 cabs in the $250-300 range each. I love mine and they sound great IMO with GK.

Avoid the newer Vietnamese cabs. Just IMO, but I have seen real poor quality.

12. I have 1x15 and 2x10 combo. I'm not bi-amp, but I sure notice the difference in tone when I play the two separate or together. I think I get a better punch with both going. It sure cuts through the mix.

Of course there is an overall volume increase as well.

Gear's in my sig. Each cab was like $350 I think.