You guys have got to see this...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Jul 17, 2005.

1. I just purchased a bunch of ivory and in correspondence with the seller, was told that another of his customers - known as one of America's finest craftsmen - lives right here in my town. He just mentioned his name but not what he did. I googled the name Paul Hamler and my freakin' jaw hit the floor when I saw what he makes.

Your's will too...
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Even though my jaw didn't drop (I recall a goldsmith who did unbelieveably small things, that you could just see with a microscope or a good lens, and he did all that with just a small jeweller's lens and even bare eyes... it was amazing), I agree that it is magnificient. A work of Art.
  3. Frank, I too have seen lots of examples of micro art done in various mediums - that stuff drops my jaw too! :) But my fascination with this guys stuff is that it's all as functional as the originals and, from what I can tell, that hasn't come at the expense of accuracy in scale as it often does in other miniature crafts. The best example being the damned threads on the adjustment screws on the tools - now how in the world did he do that?

Now, let's hook him up with one of those miniature instrument builders and see if they can build a guitar with them. Then we can get Mike TeeVee from the Willie Wonka movie to thrash the first power chord on it. Someone stop me before I get silly! :rolleyes:
  4. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Okay, my jaw dropped. I didn't see any instument-making planes in his collection, but the fillisters were gorgeous. It makes me want to go tune my old Stanley up.
  5. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Very cool stuff. I found this to be neat.

6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

not only amazing stuff but that he's just down the road and you didn't know it. Is this real Ivory? Pretty hard and touchy find these days from what I understand, very controlled. Looks like it'd be hard pressed to land in better hands. You've got to check that place out. It would be quite an experience just to be able to watch this guy work and pick his brain for a while.

Seems I recently saw a piece on miniatures on antiques roadshow or similar and they may have mentioned or had some of this guys stuff. Seems a miniature plane was one of them.
  7. too late for that! :)

His stuff is great! I got the John Entwistle book (Bass Culture) and of his instruments is a miniature copy of a thunderbird bass somebody made for his son Chris. It's cool stuff. I dig small.