Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You guys sound great, how'd I sound?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Seriously, and don't sugar coat it. Since both of my tunes are sans solo, maybe I'll have to submit another one with?
    More kudos to Sam, Damon, Paul, Chris, and all participants for this great project!

Skee-Ball
    (a.k.a. Tom Baldwin)

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    T - yeah, post something with a solo, that'll give me something else to cry about.

What can I say, man. That's a real record -swinging, responsive, authoritative. It's one of those recordings that, when I listen to it, I wish it was me playing on it.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Ayuh. The gist of my comments was:

a) You are lots better than me in all musical manners. No wonder you were a finalist at the Monk Competition and get to play with all kinds of wonderful musicians.

b) Your record actually achieves in detail what mine attempts to accomplish with a broad brush.

c) I like the name of my record much better than the name of your record.

Unduly harsh, perhaps, but honest to the bitter end . . .

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Q-TIP,

Please do submit a tune with a big old obnoxious bass solo! I could comment now since I done went 'n got your record, but it would probably be nicer if I were commenting on a tune that everybody could hear. Until then, I'd like to echo Sam's comments, and say that I've really enjoyed watching a bunch of my students get their asses kicked trying to blow over "Almost" - a joint clamfest like that produced really tends to soften them up and make them more open (well, those who have anything resembling an open mind, anyway :rolleyes: :D) to the idea of analyzing difficult changes as a way of reducing potential Johnson treadmarks.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Spent some time listening closely to "Glom" last night on some really good reference headphones. All I can say is, DAMN you sound really good. The unison lines with the piano LH are a beauty to behold, and I love the harmony and orchestration on the head. You've obviously spent some time working stuff out on the piano, and it was time well spent. That 4th-based sound is often a "seek and find" kind of endeavor for me on the keys, and based on what I heard, you've found. Great harmonic concept.

I have two minor criticisms, neither of which have to do with the bass playing. Since this is what the Sampler forum is supposedly for, I'll list them here:

1) The harmonic language of the head is to my ears far more interesting than the changes to "Airegin". In one way, the contrast between cunchy modal 4ths and functional sideslipping ii-V's is nice, and in another, it distracts from the integrity of the harmonic language of the head. I guess I could sum this one up by saying that I believe this tunes deserves to be more than a contrafact. Have you ever tried it with a set of original changes based loosely on the head?

2) The drum solo over the modal vamp is a great device. In this case, I found myself wishing that the drummer would have taken advantage of the modal vamp a bit and pushed the boundaries more rhythmically. I only mention this because he tended to stay pretty much inside, and I kept waiting for the out head. Again, a very minor criticism.

We've already spoken at some length about "Almost", so I'll pass on that here. Looking forward to the submissions with the solos...

Great stuff, and very inspiring. Keep writing!

6. Thanks everyone for all the kind words.
    The tune came about when I had the changes to Airegin running through my brain. So I thought, these are fun changes to solo on, I should write a new head for them. But I didn't want it to be another bop-type line. I wound up really disguising the fact that the head was based on those changes (on purpose), but it is mostly a derivation of some kind.

Now I like your idea, and I may incorporate some elements of the head into the solo section (if I ever perform it again).

7. Tom, About two hours ago, I sat down and did what, for me, was a long, drawn out critique of you, your playing, writing and this band. I'll try to make it short and sweet because there was something not working right on TBDB and it wouldn't accept my post.
    I, like everybody would love to hear you solo, but your sound, feel and spirit more than make up for it!
    I agree with Chris about hoping for the drummer to open it up a bit more on the drum solo. That's not a put down at all, by the way. I feel the band is really, really well suited to each other, not only in terms of sounding good together, but as a complete unit to showcase your charts.
    Congratulations and one more thing i'd like to say about the Sampler in general.....it's getting stronger and more open as time goes by! I was hoping this would happen instead of the other way around.......Better 'n Better!

8. Thanks, and sorry your efforts on the detailed critique got lost in cyberspace. If time allows, I would love to read anything you had to say, maybe another day.

Tom