You guys were right. GAS back for a 6 string now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spikeh, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I posted ages ago saying I never thought I would have GAS again... you all told me how wrong I was...

It's back sooner than I thought it would be! I've advanced a lot on my bass recently and I've suddenly got a hankering for a 6 string for that extended range.

I have around £2k to spend on a bass... I'm gonna go and try some 6's out at some local(ish) shops and see if I like them... but what I'd really like is a custom shop Fodera, Spector or Conklin...

Does anyone have any information on the length of time the above models take to be made, deliver etc and what kind of price range I'd be looking at?

A question to anyone with a Conklin (my preferred custom shop model) - are they categorically nice basses to play as I have never experienced one? Is there anyone who's played one who doesn't rate them? Are they good for slap? Do they appreciate in value as they get older?
  2. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Unless you find a cracking deal used, I'd seriously keep your money within the EU - you'll get a far better value that way and are more likely to be able to try out various examples (even if it involves a little travelling). Look at SEI, Shuker etc. in the UK and then explore the Euro options.
  3. 2k ain't gonna cut it for a custom conklin or fodera untill the exchange rate drastically improves in your favour. :crying:
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    What about a Sei, a Status or a Shuker? All made in Blighty and probably a better deal than importing.
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Since you're in the EU, speak to Mr Jerzy Drozd of Spain:

You may be able to stretch to a mastery with £2k:

Also consider Overwater, they're based in the UK:

An evolution deluxe would come within your price range.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've got major gas for another 6-string.
    Thinking of tuning it EADGBE,or EADGCF ?
    Anyone use these tunings?
  7. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Hmmm... they look nice... I'll see what they're like, thanks!

8. I guess the Spector over here is like the Overwater ... well ..."over the water," so to speak.

Overwaters are indeed spectacular - but over $4000 USD is WAY out of the price range. 1795 - 1995 pounds should get you a fantastic one!!
  9. M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    I think a 6-string status S2 would run to about £2k...

Plus, you could have it in headless! :p
  10. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Those overwater bases really are making my mouth water...

Gonna see how much money I have left over after these home improvements... then see if I can afford one without feeling imensely guilty! :)

Oh... and I don't like headless guitars at all!