Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You hated it... then you played it and loved it.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    My baby (4 string Hamer) was in the shop getting an intonation setup done a couple of months ago. I was going to skip my band practice but one of the other bass players that shares the practice room offered to let me borrow his Rickenbacker for the night.

The first 10 minutes I was disgusted. The thing weighed (what felt like) 80 pounds. Sounded like a alto sax running through a mic that was looped into an octave pedal, and the action was so low the frets buzzed with evey stroke. To top it all off the guy who had lent it to me told me he purchased it for $900. I'd spent $400 on mine and felt it sounded a zillion times better.

At the end of the 3 hour practice I had pulled a complete 180. I liked the weight- it felt really solid and I could feel the bass vibrating in my chest. The tone was interesting and after I had dialed in the EQ on my amp I had managed to find a nice growl (I prefer a deep clean sound but the growl was fantastic). Also- I found the action to be very easy on my hands and the fretbuzz didn't bother me as much after the EQ reset. :D

Now I wouldn't replace my current bass with a Rick- but I have a whole lot of respect for them and I can see why some people really like them.

Anyone else have a story about a bass you didn't like at first but grew to enjoy after you put it through the paces?

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Warwicks, y0

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I had a similar experience with Bongos. I really didn't like the body style and had no desire to play one. But a few weeks ago I was at a guitar center an tried one out. I was floored, I know those things are more funk and slap orienterd but I loved the fingerstyle sound. After a few minutes I did a total flip-flop on bongos and, while I still don't love the shape, I'm now a big fan of them.

4. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    me too! the Thumb in particular.. it wasnt until I played one that I could see what all the hype was about!

5. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    Laklands. I hate traditional looking basses, and the Laklands are way too "Fenderish" for me. Still, my bass instructor had me play one when he was helping me find a fiver. By the end of my lesson, I loved the maple neck and thin frets.

In the end I bought a Roscoe fiver because I figured if I was spending over a grand for a bass I better get one I didn't think was ugly (plus it plays great too). Still, I loved the feel of the Lakland and for the right price I might nab one someday.

- E.

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Bongos I went from hate to love after playing.

Warwicks and spectors it ws the other way around.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    This was a year ago, but it was a used warwick streamer 4 at a local GC. I really liked the neck, felt really solid and very deeply "c" shaped like a Spector, which my hands don't mind after nothing but jazz necks all the time.

8. I thought the Ibanez ATK was hideous... until I played it :eek:

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Bongo has definitely made me go beyond its looks. It is a great sounding bass and a great deal price wise.

10. P-basses, in a sense. I liked the look of them so I got the Squier P. When I moved to my Fender J, I abandoned P's completely and really didn't care much about P-basses. Probably just a bad experience. I slowly began to like them again and GAS struck a few months ago.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I played Precisions for decades. The last Jazz bass I played was probably in 1975, and I hated it. Thin little neck, a wimpy thing, and you can't even lean it against your amp. Swore 'em off and never thought about it again.

Jump to 2002. Picked up a Warmoth Jazz style bass for pretty cheap just on a lark. What was I thinking? Okay, maybe that mid-70s Jazz was a POS, but boy, I did a complete 180.

No Precisions in my bass closet, but I do have a 62 RI Jazz and a Custom Shop NOS 64. I guess I like Jazz basses now.

BTW, it is, I admit it, nice to read that so many guys are playing the Bongos and realizing that it ain't BS or hype. Them suckers make a big, scary noise.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I personally thought the Schecters were crap until I played the Siletto Elite 4. I fell for its feel and tone right away. Thats why I bought the one Mud Flaps was selling! :D

On the other side, Spectors, I thought they would be awesome until I played one. :meh:

13. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Jazz Bass. I was always attracted to modern looking basses. Then I got an Ibanez Silver Series "lawsuit era" Jazz Bass. Played it, loved it, owned at least two J-basses ever since. Now I love the look of them.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cirrus. I disliked the looks and slighted the bass because of the brand name. Then I played one and realized the body style "fit" me perfectly, and that the tone was incredible. It really broke down all my preconceived notions about Peavey basses. I have played several other shining examples of Peavey basses since.

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Mine's probably the Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass guitar. It's Tacoma's import/bargain line. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound and the playability.