1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You Have the Power and Position for Change - - - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Auguste, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    You are now the bevolent dictator of your band and you have control of all aspects of the band.

However, you need to fix all of the problems with the guitar and drums being to loud and the crowd saying that they can't here the singer. What do you do?

Take control of all of the instruments and run them through your mixer and then to the speakers? You control the volume and the musician controls the effects and tone. :hyper:

Hire a member from a biker gang to help with band control? :rollno:

But seriously, how would you do it? If you need gear what gear would you get? If you need an agreement/contract, what would it say?

Just wondering what would work.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Hire a sound guy or learn about live sound.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Educate and proliferate

4. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Make the drummer play with chopsticks.

5. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee

I am assuming small - medium indoor gigs where volume can be an issue. Not sure a benevolent dictator could fix this problem. I think the dictator would need to be pretty vicious. :D

Guitar - No more than a 30W amp with a 12" speaker. Place the amp about knee high between the guitarist and the audience and point it straight at the player's head. Stick a mic on it.

Drums - Use a kit with smaller drums, thinner quick decay cymbals and lighter sticks. Mic the set or at least the kick and maybe the snare.

Personally I have thought about cranking up the vocals and bass until there is a real mix. Unfortunately I think the audience would leave. Oh and I can't get my band to listen to me at all on this. :bassist:

6. Hoping I have the cash that all benevolent dictators do, the first thing I procure is an electric kit for the drummer. After that comes a PA that can do all the heavy lifting with a sound guy. And if anyone complains after that: TO THE GALLOWS WITH YE!!

Peace,
    Greg

7. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    Would love to go electronic drum kit for small and medium gigs. Some nice mesh heads and the low volume Zildjien cymbals.

8. Electronic drums and everyone goes direct and uses in-ears.

I'd love to switch my rehearsal space (my basement) over to using something like the JamHub. Unfortunately, the other half sees it as a waste since I just dropped over $3k on a PA less than two years ago.

I've been using in-ears at church, where everyone uses them, and once you get a good mix, it's awesome. Being able to rehearse that way would be great for everyone involved.

9. I would relocate our practice space to something bigger and more convenient (we're on the second floor of our guitarist's house right now, and the room is small). I would also find and recruit a quality female keyboard player who can also sing leads. After that we'd pretty much be golden.