Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You have to crack a lot of eggs to make an omelet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Maybe some of you guys can relate to this. I seem to be learning what I like by learning about what I don't like. I recently had an SVT-4 PRO that I used with my SVT-410HLF. I would alternate between a Ric 4003 and a MIM Precsion. I'm going through a phase of jumping all over the map with gear, and among other things, I traded the 4-PRO in on an SVT-610 HLF, along with getting a GK1001RB-II. My band practiced tonight after spending the last 3 weeks recording. Tonight I showed up with the GK1001RB-II and the 6X10., the Ric and my new Geddy. The other guys were playing me the final mix of our recent recordings. I had used the 4-PRO preamp out, and after a few scratch tracks, going with the Ric. What I heard on the final mix they were playing as I was setting up, was bass tone I absolutely loved. Too bad I just got rid of my tone! (stupid!) I was surprisingly disappointed in the tone and lack of personality I got tonight using either the Ric or the Geddy through the GK/SVT610. It shocked me that I had to crank the GK up about "7". It's a 700 watt amp. I discovered the SVT-4 PRO colors your tone, and I love the color. It will smooth out a Ric, and give you a warm tone that sounds like a P, just more defined. I used both pickups, volume and tone knobs wide open, and on the 4-PRO, the EQ off and pretty much flat on the 3 band. This rig is great, IMHO, for 2 commonly used basses that one can find lack of bottom end with.

The good knews is, I found a recipe that I really love, I just didn't realize it when it was right there in front of me - I can get another 4-PRO. I still have the SVT410HLF, and I think it sounds as good as the 610HLF, if not better. So, I'm headed back to the 4-PRO/SVT410HLF/Ric. Great tone for me. I also realized I'll probably always have 2 rigs - one sure thing rig, and the other being an experment to see if I like anything better.

Can anybody relate to realizing you had what you were looking for without realizing it?

Skel

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I only crack 3 eggs to make omelets.

:p

As for me, I'm much more of a beginner, but my jazz sounded nice thru the ampeg ba115 combo i had, but sounds killer (imo) thru the GK rig I have.

something to consider though, most dudes say ricks are MUCH better thru tube amps, something to consider I think...

although for most things i generally prefer GK, ampeg sounds great... for most other people, i 90% of the time prefer the GK sound.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Sounds like what happened to you is what they call "experience".

Ric or P + Ampeg = good tone. GK sounds good with my Jackson.

Can't say I'm crazy about either one of those cabs, but definitely get the head back.

4. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I agree with you when you say the 410HLF sounds just as good, if not better than the 610HLF. I own a 410HLF and have only tried the 610 at GC but when I did I played them both through an SVT-3 and also through an SVT-4. The 610 was, obviously, louder but the tone I got from the 410 was cleaner and more responsive in my opinion.

I'm finally getting myself some good gear and so far, I'm in love with the Ampeg equipment I own. I have a B2R plus a 410HLF. I know its not the greatest combo in the world and I do plan on upgrading to an SVT-3 Pro in the future but it still has that nice Ampeg tone and I get some crazy low end. I upgraded to the 410HLF from a Hartke VX410. When I bought the Hartke I thought my tone was going to awesome but I couldn't have been more wrong. The Hartke was dull and sounded like crap but the 410HLF sings and I love it.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think the B2R simply an underrated amp. I realize it's the same amp as the SVT-450H, for those that want the cabinet style head. Since there are so many more expensive Ampeg models, you tend to convince yourself it can't be any good - it's almost the bottom of the line Ampeg head, and tends to be the average "go to GC and get a bass amp" type person's first head. I know this may sound like BS, but the Ampegs I've played through really do have a certain "Ampeg thang" tone that really works for my style of music. I do think Ampegs color your tone, but as I've said - I like the color. But when you think about it...it's a 450 watt bass amp - that's nothing to scoff at, and *that's* been replaced with the more powerful "E". I think the B2R sounds excellent.

When I said the "crack a lot of eggs" bit, I just meant that, at least some players, need to try a whole lotta amps to find what they like. Others may get lucky and land on something the first or second try. I'm willing to try just about everything, just so I know what I like, and what I don't like. The brand or model *I* end up using is not the point of this thread, and certainly not meant to challenge the quality of any specific amp brand. We should have another thread some time, where we can read about not what players are using, but all the amps they didn't end up using - might be an interesting and long list.

Skel

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sometimes it just takes some time to suss out what you need to do to get your sound out of an amp, too. A week or two isn't always enough to get the hang of a piece of gear. Some of the gear I play took more than a few months before I found 'home'.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So true and so important. I'm way too trigger happy, but at least I'm finally realizing that. Good point.

And correction to my previous post: The B2R is a 350 watt amp, not 450 watts. I noticed for the cab version, they offer both the SVT-350 and the SVT-450. With the rack mount counterparts, they replaced the B2-R with the B2-RE.

Skel

8. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I knew what you meant by "cracking a lot of eggs". I guess I was refering to my cab. I cracked one egg with the Hartke and thought it was going to be sweet and it turned out to be a bad egg. Last week I cracked another egg and out popped a 410HLF and I love it.

After re-reading my post I realize that its not very clear. I just like talking about my new setup because, like I said, its my first rig that really shines :D.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Nice play on my play on words. Maybe the phrase will catch on. "I cracked a new egg today, and this baby fries"

Skel

10. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    Im lovin my B4r amp. It cranks. We play punk/core the guitarist uses a marshal stack and i jsut have a 410he with my B4r. It holds its own.

Unrelated: Are the same Skel from AOG?

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    This is one of the reasons I have accumulated gear and kept stuff too long!! The longer I do this the more I realize what I like and it isn't always what I "should be" using based on the type of music I play. If it feels right... it probably is....

Don't worry, you will change your sound again... we all do

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That's good, because you're still not getting that
    Eden WT300 head back. Ever. I have arranged for
    it to be on the longboat for my Viking funeral. I will
    need it in the afterlife.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I definitely want to kick the tires on a B4R at some point. Ampeg has so many offerings now, that it's just getting plain weird.

AOG? Not that I'm aware of, but I'd like to know if I am. My wife, and/or kids are happy to sign me up for things. What is it?

Also, I just now realized that Ampeg SVT series amps all had one thing in common - they had at least one tube. I guess that's not the case any longer. SVT now means "expensive"?

Skel

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey - you have one of these (duh). I was seriously thinking about this amp, but it's pretty expensive to buy without trying first, reviews are so subjective, and I had a little concern that it's not actually made by Eden, so I thought service could be an issue.

Skel

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Different basses like different amps. My Ric and Acoustic never got along but with the Ampeg, it was heaven. I like my G&L thru Ampeg but actually like it better thru a cleaner setup such as a SWR.

16. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    :ninja: I know a guy... who knows a guy WATCH OUT!!:D

You won't need one in the afterlife. Everybody's got in-ear monitors!

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

:D

It's noisy down there. like GC on a Saturday.

18. It took me years of sucking raw eggs from the shell before I realized I could even make an omelet! Then I made a few before I realized I don't even like eggs! But know I know... Music Man Stingray 5 + Ampeg SVT II PRO and SVT 810e = eggs freakin' benedict! Warm, punchy, growly, cool, rockin', funkin', jivin', crispy, crunchy, yummy!

Of course, I am playing 90% good 'ol rock 'n' roll from the 60's 70's and early 80's... so take that for what it is worth. However, when I play with my project bands and we do stuff that ranges from Flecktones-ish fusion to Neil Young-ish earthen rock, that combo still shines like a crazy diamond!

--tz

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Can I have a bite? You've got me jazzed - the guy shipped my SVT-II non-pro yesterday. I think I'll be tradin' the SVT-610HLF for an 810E. The 410HLF makes the 610 redundant. And now, after practicing my butt off for a year - I think I'm ready for a Ray - you have to be good enough to play one of those, IMHO. I did your rig.

Skel

20. IMHO the Ampeg Rig and the MMSR5 is the 'ultimate rock bass' sound! Good luck with your combo! It sounds like it is gonna make you very happy! It also sounds like your back is going to start talking to you soon... the MM and the 810e are kinda heavy - but worth it!

I went from an Ibanez SR800 (that I had for a bunch of years) to my MM about 5 years ago and after my first gig with the MM I was like, "Damn... my back be killin' me!" - of course, I am also 38 years old now and work as a web designer (on my arse all day long) - but still, start working out those lower back muscles now in anticipation of that MM and having to heft the 810e which tips the scales at 165lbs!

So... are we done with the egg/omelet metaphor?

--tz