you have to see these basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Those are all pretty ugly IMO
  2. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I like #1066-02,#040-01, and #022-00. Not too shabby. Otherwise I don't like those basses.
  3. Nice basses,not for me though.

Thanks for sharing
  4. i could live with this one if i had to:

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It kinda looks like Bullwinkle.[​IMG]
  6. Those bubinga tops look awesome! all of'em!
  7. i suppose it does in a way. amazing that you made that connection. :D
  8. you all know those are FBB basses right? he's a member of talkbass

i think he does great work, personally
  9. I like those basses. I met with Matt (the luthier) several months back and i was able to check out the shop and i got to play #47 and #43 and the sound and playability is awesome. I agree some of them are not the most beutiful basses in the world but they more than make it up in the sound/playabilty department.
  10. I think his single cuts are beautiful, double cuts not my thing. I would love that fretless 6er single cut though, or any of his single cuts (extended horn ones atleast).
  11. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    that 8 string fretless is insane
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    FBBs are pretty well-known around here; several TalkBass members own them, and Matt is one of the most active contributors in the Luthier's Corner. Very good guy from what I can tell.
  13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i don't like all of them, but the ones that i like, i *really* like. :)
  14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think they're the best basses available in that price range. A total custom commission @ Matt's prices is unbelievable. I have forsaken all my other basses for FBB. My 4th should arrive shortly, and I hope to get my next commission going very soon.

Don't like how one looks? Tell him how you want yours to look. That ain't too tough is it?

my 'collection' so far

Recently I've sold my Alembics, Pentabuzz, F, Warwick Infinity, a RIc and a Conklin GT7f. I can live without them all, as long as I gots my FBBs.

I've played everything I can get my hands on, and so far, Matt is my custom luthier of choice. I'd rank JP right up there too, they cover both ends of the spectrum.
  15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    man, i think those all look awesome! is this guy in college? i noticed the URL is like

oh mark- how you likin that NE-1?
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nice wood, but I've never liked Matt's basses at all.
  17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Is it because they aren't Eden?

18. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think Matt works there if I'm not mistaken...

NE-1 is cool, I played around with it a bit when I got it, but haven't had much time since. Thanks again!

I guess Matt needs a 'GCGorman' like Wishy has, to combat naysayers. All I can do is say how great his basses are if you actually play one.
  19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i loved the ones i've played, but the guy who posted they were ugly.... there is a real simple solution... see that button down there that says "post"... dont push it.