Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You HAVE to see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Go to nordstrandguitars.com to see my new singlecut lined fretless 4 string!! It will be done tomorrow and at NAMM for people to see! Carey won't have a booth, but he'll be at the show with instruments (including mine!!!) for people to see if they call and arrange it with him!
    I'm a happy puppy!! It's going to have pink ivory pickup covers, black hipshot hardware, and a 3 band Haz Lab!!!!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that is a SWEET looking bass . congrats !

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Definitely cool

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Since my friend Jacochops seems to be computer challenged,;) I thought I'd post a pic to make it easier for everyone to see. I think the colors of all the woods in this bass really make for an attractive piece. But that chestnut is VERY soft. He's going to have to treat it with kid gloves if he wants it to look good for any length of time.
    What do you guys think?

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

Looks great, Carey. What kind of finish are you doing?

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Thanks Brad,
    I would prefer to do a satin lacquer, but Mr Chops has requested a TruOil finish, so that's what he gets. I think the wood will look great with an oil finish, but like I said, that chestnut is soft and I don't think it will hold up well in the long run. Maybe I can talk him into letting me lacquer it later, after the NAMM show. :cool:

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cool. Lacquer would really make that figuring jump out. I think you're right about the oil finish and the soft wood... it'll look great but he'll have to be careful.

Hope it all works out. You're doing some excellent work.

8. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Very nice. I love single cut bodies and this one looks great.

I'll definitely have to keep this in mind when it comes time to get a 6-string!

9. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    It's not that I'm in love with the tru-oil, it's just that NAMM is TOMORROW, and it's a finish that dries quick and hard. I'll probably have Carey shoot some satin on it after the show. It's sweet, don't you think? His work is ridiculously detailed and clean. Those pink ivory covers are pretty outrageous! I've gotta tell you, the horse chestnut was a bear to find. There's a guy in Washington that has a bunch of it. The only other place I've seen it is on a Fodera. I know of a couple places in NY and NJ that sometimes have it, but it's not a wood that most exotic wood places stock. I live 10 minutes from Tropical Exotic Hardwoods in San Diego, who is one of the premier places to get incredibly figured woods, and they've never carried it.
    My next bass will have a killer flamed koa top, possibly birdseye board with block inlays or macassar ebony board, a U-retro preamp, and either alder or mahogany body.
    Anyone here have any experience with either a mahogany body/ebony board combo, or mahogany maple? I've owned tons of alder basses, but never mahogany with either board combo.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My Elrick NJS has a Mahogany body, Maple neck and Ebony board. It's warm and articulate. The lows are excellent.

BTW I'm not criticizing your choice of finish. Looks like it'll turn out great whatever you decide.
    :D

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    wow. Nice color matches! I can't wait for the finished product.. Congrats!!

DM

12. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    OK, it's 99% done. I just have to make a truss rod cover. Any idea what kind of wood I should use? I'll take some better pics and post them on my site after NAMM.

13. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Survey says........

1) PINK IVORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2) PINK IVORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3) PINK IVORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4) Anything as long as it's PINK IVORY!!!!!

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    [​IMG]

What Jacochops says!

Pink Ivory should look cool :D

Peace, JP