Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You! Help me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I am Domokun, Nov 14, 2005.

1. I'm looking around for a bass. It's gonna be my first real bass, I'm using a Harley Benton at the mo :)rolleyes:) and I'm gonna be wanting a real bass. Nothing high end though. It's gonna be five string anways, I've been looking at a few. I probably won't be buying any time soon, I'll be saving for a while, so my budget isn't fixed, I'll just save up for a bit longer. :)

Your thoughts on:

http://www.music123.com/Traben-Phoenix-5-i158292.music

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-170754.html

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-167674.html

Thanks very much.

Also, very important: If you recommend something else, please tell me why etc., I want to be able to figure out what is good and bad myself, not just be told "This is good, buy this".

2. Personally, I have never played a Traben that I liked. They all felt bulky and the tone left something to be desired

I am however very partial to yamaha's. I dotn own one personally, but my two cousins both own different models and I like them both. Ive also played quite a few in shops that I liked.

I vote Yamaha

3. Thanks for the input :) The Traben attracted me cos it looks so damn sweet. I can't stop looking at it!

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think you really have to try out a few basses to see what looks good but also feels good. I too have seen a few basses that looked amazing to me (and still do) but I ended up dissapointed after having played them.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The appearence of trabens, is, IMO, a gimmick to get people to buy their basses, because they lack in quality and sound.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've played a couple of Trabens and they do look good, but the sound's not an appealing one. I do own a Yamaha Attitude Plus which is the bottom rung of that line. Even though it's considered a beginner's bass without all the bells and whistles, it's got a wide range of tone from the split P pickups. It's light, yet can get a really decent bottom end. I'm playing that through a Hartke 2000 head and 4x10 cabinet. I also use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI and a Boss Bass Chorus and get a really nasty, growly tone. It kills! :hyper:

7. How much did all that cost? :eek:

I've added the Ibanez SRX 505 to the list, cos of another thread I saw. And I prefer the look of the Ibanezes.

:edit: Linkage

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I haven't owned an Ibanez bass in a while, but I was shopping for a cheap-o 5 string the other day (I'm tired of having my shoulder dislocated by a Warwick Thumb. Great for studio, not so much for long gigs) and I was impressed by the Ibanez 505 with the all-mahogany body. It was quick, versatile, and the B felt and sounded solid. This model had a P/J configuration, though, not humbuckers. I don't like the Ibanez humbuckers, though the bass may be killer if you replaced the pups.

9. It's going to be for metal, I thought I should add that in there. That also means it has to look kinda metall-y.

10. Any more help to be had? Are there any higher-end versions of the Yamaha, cos that one seems a bit too cheap. :meh:

11. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I have a Traben Phoenix 4 - It looks bad ass, it's not quite as heavy as people make it out to be - although a lot heavier than your average Fender. It feels very nice - Takes getting used to, but has a very unique feel. I like it, for slap/pop. On the bridge pickup with the mids/highs boosted it has a perfect fingerstyle 3rd wave ska sound. It lacks the attack I need for my metal band however so I'm investing in a passive Warwick Corvette this christmas, and in January when I sell my old Fender amp I'm gonna buy a drum machine, and a new preamp for the Warwick.

12. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Have the SRX505 and SR506...the 505 has sweet look, nice bridge, and killer tone.

13. I have to say I'm leaning towards a an Ibanez SRX 505. Anyone know where in Europe to get it cheapest?

14. Ibanez is a good way to go, and if you arent that bothered about it, look on ebay, thats where i got most of mine

However : http://www.ibanezguitars.co.uk/ are probably the cheapest and best place to go through on the net :)

15. What about the regular SRX 505 instead of the TK version? HERE
    Is it worth the price difference?

16. TK = transblack

Just the finish of the bass, Trans black is a very nice colour IMO, and its cheaper, they must just be trying to shift them

17. Oh, thanks. I thought it said the pickups were different but on closer inspection, they're identical.

18. It has different names for them in the description, im not sure why, but they are the same thing, it is just the colour thats different, and IMO the TK looks better + is cheaper = score :)

19. on another note . . . from just looking at it, i really want to add one of them to the family!