1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You know all the hype about DR Legends Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 3, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    ...it's true. OK so I am a few years late to the party. I got a set of these a few months ago but had to wait until the right bass came along to put them on. I wanted to put them on a solid P Bass and I just got around to putting them on my 2003 American P Bass. LOVE IT! I am a HUGE LaBella 760FL fan.....now I am not ready to dethrone the 760FL's as my King of Strings..... but these were instant love. The tone is pure classic vintage Motown, 70's rock and funk flats on a P Bass tone. And unlike LaBella's...they sound perfect to me right out of the box. The feel is a little closer to that of the TI's which I really like too but the old school tone.

So now I have to say that I am running a neck and neck three way tie between LaBella 760FL's, TI Jazz Flats and now the DR Legends.

I just can't say enough about the tone and feel of these strings. I can not wait to get home tomorrow from work and play this bass again and it will certainly be in the gig bag going to my gigs this weekend!

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I'm interested in what you think after they break in.

3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    me too.....

4. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I've been curious about these for quite awhile,as i really like DR strings in general. How would you describe the tension/stiffness of these?

5. JGintheHam

JGintheHam

Jul 8, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    Mike Lull endorsing artist
    My main has a set of 2 yo Legends. They are tone monsters. I felt that they really took about a year to break in. I just love them. They are a total joy to play. I have also found that they are available in short scale as well which turned my '62 Silvertone/Danelectro into a beast. They are on all my basses save one.

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I am gonna say they are a nice cross between TI Flats and LaBella 760 FL's. A definitely softer feel but not quite to the TI's level.

7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    That is great to hear. If these strings get better with age I am going to be a happy camper. I have had the same experience with LaBellas and TI's. I recently tried out a set of Roto flats and they did not get better with age in my opinion. They had a cool RW tone to them at first and I liked the way they played. But as they aged (two months) they became rather dull and lifeless. They still had a nice thump and are usable but just didn't have the tone TI's, LaBellas and I guess DR's have as they age.

8. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Might have to give these a try. I've been very happy with the Sadowsky flats but the way you describe the string tension of the DRs make it sound like they'd be in my preferred range and I was a long time user of DRs (Sunbeams) before switching to the Sads...