1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You know, It feels good to give.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fetzu, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    With today being Easter, we had everyone at our house for dinner. As everyone was arriving, I was in the room playing around with my bass. My 14-year old nephew came in to say "Hi". He is kinda shy and afraid of me, do to my tormenting him when he was younger. I asked him if he wanted to play, and he hesitantly said no. I could tell that he wanted to, so I just handed him a bass and told him to play around while I used the bathroom. I could hear him randomly thumping away while I was gone. When I came back, he started to give the bass back, but I said "Nah, you go ahead and keep that one. It's your bass now." His eyes lit up with excitement as he asked "Really". I said sure, and told him that one day when he is a much better bass player than I will ever be, that he do the same thing. 'Okay, I will" was his response.
    The rest of the afternoon he kept asking his parents if it was time to go home yet. I could see the excitement in his eyes, and it made me feel really good that I may have started the career of a future rocker.:bassist:

It was only a Squier Affinity P-bass that I had picked up on a whim for $50. I never played around with it, and always thought about modding it out. That never materialized, and now it is somebodys first bass.
    Just wanted to share this with you all.

2. That's great man. Watch that kid, he may turn into something special. And I know how good that will feel to you when he does.

Planning to give him any lessons, or pointers?

3. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    You know, I just remembered I have that Hal Leonard Bass Method book that I could give to him. I also told him to learn to play with both fingers and a pick, not to focus on just one.

4. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    That's awesome! I love giving old gear away to beginners and those less fortunate than myself.

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

that is just totally way cool.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I did that a few years back. I had downsized my rig to something less ridiculous and my old low end cab was sitting out in the garage getting dusty and old. I didn't use it anymore and didn't want it anymore. But it was still a 2x15 cab.

So I was at GC and this kid is there looking at amps. The salesdroid almost talked him into a little used 100W Crate because that was all the money he had.

While the salesbot was away for a minute, I told the kid. Don't buy that combo. Buy one of these heads over here for the same money and I'll give you my old cab.

So basically my old low end cab was 'free to a good home' and someone took me up on it.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I just packed up my Guild Pilot to send it to my son (27 now) in Oregon. A while back he sent me a Youtube link to someone I've never heard of, but he said "This makes me want to play bass". He'd never expressed any interest in string instruments ('though he played a little coronet and clarinet in junior high, he was in a very focused and professional boys choir when he was like 9 to 11).

And he's already had a "tab vs. standard notation" discussion with a buddy of his who's just starting on guitar. Should be fun!

jte