Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

you know, i've been wondering...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by john turner, Mar 31, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    all you folks down here are getting some excitement lately, the likes of which usually is reserved for us up in the BG slums. i'm trying to figure out what's up down here, and then i wonder...

where's ed?

:D

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Huh? Have I missed something? I've been scanning the DB section for new posts the last week or so and there's been nothing! C'mon - give us a clue - what happened? :confused:

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Castle DB has been visited lately by trolls - or, more to the point, by the various personality manifestations of a single troll with too much time on his hands. This usually happens during our American afternoons. By the time you log on at "oh- darkhundred" our time, the trolls have usually been chewed to bits by the moat monsters, after which our beloved gatekeeper john "sir bassalot" turner usually flushes the moat water so it won't smell like rotting troll. This has been going on for a while now. If you want to view the remains of several of these trolls which have not been flushed because they were picked clean while trying to cross the moat, read the old "harmonics" thread in DB technique.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the explanation Chris - so JT has been busy tidying up around here!

I think this fits in with what I was saying in another thread about "anonymity". In my company we did have an anonymous forum and there were a number of "idiots" who generated several user names for themselves and proceeded to slander individuals and even have discussions with themselves! And this was despite the fact that it was clearly pointed out that the administrators knew who each person was from their PC id - it even got to the point where people were dismissed for this - but the only way to stop the situation was to close the forum!

There's some strange "psychology" going on with this - sort of like - we feel that we can be "naughty" or act out of character, if our identity is concealed - why masked balls were so popular? But what seems really strange is that some people seem unable to draw back and step out of the pretence - even when they stand to lose something as important as their liveliehood - maybe its becomes addictive to them?

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i certainly wouldn't mind a forum where everyone used their own name, or at least included it in their sigs, but that would be hard to enforce.

then again, the only people i take seriously are those that do so anyway, so... :D

6. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    So does that mean that I'm only taken half-seriously then?

-dh

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "then again, the only people i take seriously are those that do so anyway, so... "

Thanks, John.

Everyone might take into consideration that there are perfectly valid reasons for not disclosing ones full name in a public forum.

If anyone should be interested in my full name, they can drop me an E-mail. If I feel that if I want the person who makes the request to have that private info, I'll be glad to give it to them.

It's not a secret. Chris and I have exchanged E-mail on a couple of occasions. I had no reservation about signing my full name. There are a (very) few that frequent the board that I don't want to know anything about my private life. Particularly my name, phone # and address.

You know, there is a street address listed with your name and phone number in the telephone directory.

With your name and the amount of info in a completed profile anyone can drive up to your front door.

John, when you were at the NAMM show everyone on the board knew that you were away from home. If you didn't carry all of those multi stringers with you, you set yourself up for a robbery.

Heck, you even gave an inventory in your profile so a thief doesn't miss anything.

I am being a little over dramatic here but I'm sure my point is understood.

Luckily, it doesn't matter whether this post is taken seriously or not. :)

Pkr2(not my real name)

8. I agree with pkr2. It's not a bad thing to be slightly paranoid on the internet. Like pkr2, I have provided my name to other TB'ers when exchanging email, and I do so with no hesitation.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oops. :eek:

well i guess i shoulda qualified my flipant remark somewhat. how about, when i see an alias, i'm going to be somewhat more skeptical of the poster's intent until i've read their posts. obviously, after the user has posted, and their true intent (either honest participation or troll) is made known, then the name is meaningless except as just a handle or identifier.

i think it's more likely that someone who participates on an internet forum like this with their real name is going to be less likely to post trolling/spamming/obnoxious/non-contributive material than someone posting under a fake name. that doesn't mean that the annonymous/aliased individuals are going to automatically be trolls, it just means that the "real-name" people are going to be less likely to be so.

as for the annonymous/protection aspect, i can understand that. but then again, i've met some other bassists that have become really great friends in person, over the internet. i only really participate on bass forums, so i don't really use the net as a social meeting place, but still, like this saturday, i enjoy meeting up with all the new people that i meet - i really enjoy that.

and as for setting myself up, i've got that taken care of :D . there's rarely more than a couple of hours that _somebody_ isn't at my house. still, though, i can understand someone's desire to remain annonymous. it's interesting, the only individuals who have really trolled or threatened me on the web or in email were annonymous - MR2112 comes to mind :rolleyes:. supposedly he's going to kill me someday, that's what he keeps telling me. what a maroon.

still, though, sorry for the flip remark - i shoulda cleared that up more.

and hey, dhosek, isn't that your name? sorta like dhosek and the pussycats? :D sorry, that wasn't very funny. :rolleyes:

EDIT - changed "real name" to "fake name" in 1st sentence of 2nd paragraph. duh. :D

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "why masked balls were so popular "[Bruce]

Well, I never! Do you guys in the UK really do that? What's the point? As long as one is covered up properly, Why wear a mask there?

Pkr2

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek:

who was that masked man?

12. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've never seen the show, but as a child I drank out of a cup with a picture of Josie & the Pussycats. I understand a film is coming out this year, & I figure I should see it so that I can find out just what was being endorsed by my drinking vessel.

-dh

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's clear that any heavily MTV endorsed film with a teen-celeb cast will prove to be the authority on a particular subject. That said, the new film about Josie and the Pussycats should prove itself to be a pulitzer worthy chronicle on the lives and times of the band.

Sorry, I'll knock off the sarcasm now.

And, in regards to this anonymity, if you make one more remark like that JT, I will hunt you down and find your %^*%$%_&*&* little ^)*&_&^ and then I'll &*()#$W#%^, and if you don't like it then, go %^%$.@#.

Love, Adam Rodrig----

Wait, I mean....

Signed,
    Jazzbeaux! (Enter evil laugh, a la Dr. Evil, right here!)

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're so eeeeeevilll. :D

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ADAM ANT,

I think that in your case we can bypass the real name since you have your picture plastered to each post. I think the sword was a brilliant move to deter potential E-flamers, but on the other hand, now everybody knows that your feet are really, really flat. Are you and SUPPER DUCK related, perhaps?

DURRL

P.S. - nice coiffure.

16. Geez I feel old. I think I watched Josie and the Pussycats when I was a kid--first runs, not reruns. They used to solve mysteries between gigs, like Scooby Doo, or our own Sherlock.
    JT--when you posted in BG Basses "Woohoo I finally got one of them" I thought sure I was gonna open a pic of a double bass. Still, those are beautiful instruments!

17. I remember that too, but even at that tender age, the biggest mystery running through my mind was "why is every gig they do a Benefit? How do they ever make any money?" :confused:

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks! :D

yeah, i need to stop being a wuss and get a real bass. i was goofin' around on Pacman's upright bass (jon packard) that he just got, very cool. i'm so incompetant on it though, it was really funny. he does well on it though.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you so much FSCOTCHTAPE, the shoes are a must. I perform in the Kabuki theatre (not Karaoke!) at night to subsidize my gas. Very important.

SUPERF--, (never mind), hasn't come forward at the big family reunion yet. We had cheeseburger, cheesburger, cheeseburger. No Coke, Pepsi.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "i was goofin' around on Pacman's upright bass (jon packard) that he just got, very cool."

Careful Officer Krupke, I got chased down for using that scary word: upright. :D