you know what i friggen hate?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Mar 9, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    when i'm playing a show with my band, and before the show even happens, another bass player in another bands always asks..."can i use your amp?" and there is always some excuse to why he cannot bring his stuff.

dude, why are some musicians just retarded? i dont care if it makes you have to go home after work to get it, ****, bring your amp with you to work. why is that such a big deal?

i dont mind if someone wants to use my cab, its not a huge deal, but my amp and bass are two no no's. why dont people understand this?

you buy expensive gear, USE IT.
  2. I always work on the basis of:

"You give me £1000.00 cash deposit and, when you've used the amp and I'm satisfied it's OK, you get your money back. If you break it, you lose the deposit."

No one has EVER taken me up on it (surprise surprise!!) :D :D
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, i usually just play the dickhead and say no. but i dont know why people ask me. like, i let you use it once. the "kid" made my bass amp ands cabinet sound like absolute crap. dude has the same gear, just ****ing bring it. thats part of being in a band. you have to get your **** to shows, and if you cannot, dont bother even being in a band because its obviously not important enough to you.

ps, your quote is ****ing hilarious.
  4. I hate the assumptions too. I let friends use my gear. They help me lug it, they can use it too. It makes for easier setups and all that. But yeah, I hate if someone assumes they are going to use my rig because it's either better than theirs or they are too lazy / apathetic to care about their own gear.

To them I say "No, sorry".
  5. Unless backline arrangements were made way up-front before the gig I'd have to decline as well. I'm pretty much to the point that unless you are a friend of mine you are SOL if you ask me to use my rig.
  6. got the guys that don't really know ya, but have seen you live, know yer gear, get on the bill and just expect you to play good guy about it....

well, nope. :bassist:
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    its like, i know the dude. not a friend, just a dude i know who comes to see my band. its like, just stop being lazy.
  8. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    One time i took my laney 300 watt combo to a gig, and one of the bands bassist's came up to me and said 'hey can i use your amp?' so i said yeah sure.. and then he added, because i blew mine the other day at practice.. so im feeling... on second thoughts... :eyebrow: hahaha, one thing your not supposed to say, can i use your cab and head, because the other day i totally blew my cab! yeah sure..
  9. markus

Jan 13, 2005
    you know what I friggen hate?

when you have this gig at this place... and you're supposed to play there but one week before, they cancel it and move it to 11 march, and on the eighth you find out that they cancel AGAIN, this time due to not having printed any posters.... f***ing amateurs!!!
  10. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've let opening bands use my amp on a few occasions now. In both cases, the bassist had their own amps (they just liked my rig better), and it was discussed ahead of time. If there are a couple of bands playing, I'd just as soon as leave my rig up for all to use then worry about the logistics of setting up quickly (and risking a technical difficulty, or something getting buggered up since sound check).

I take it as a compliment when someone asks to use my rig. I haven't had any problems yet. But then again, I usually offer it when there are multiple bands. Sharing your cool gear, and showing faith in your fellow bassists, gets you respect. People notice that, and it pays off later.
  11. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm often letting others use my gear but that's cause we host a jazz jam session every month or so here at NMU. I hate when people are in charge of moving equipment for you and mess it up. I was working at a summer camp that i wont name. Lets just say its a fine arts camp and exactally like the one in American Pie. They were in charge of moving my BA115 from the Gazzibo to the big shell, probabally about 250 yards. Some how they lost a knob. I can't pull the knobs off with out a tool. ***. Though i still love that place.

As far as borrowing other bassists gear, i think we sould pick up a 10Watt POS from Radio shack to keep in the trunk so when someone asks to use our rig we say yes and hand them that. MaWaHahahahah...

12. This is an economic opportunity for a rental fee. Get a % of their cut just like if someone is using your PA. Same thing.
  13. generally, unless i know the guy, or its agreed way ahead, then its always no. i worked hard and paid a lot of money for my sound, and i want it to remain MY sound.
  14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Simple answer: "just say no".

There's no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

"Just say no". It's not your problem. :)
  15. What'S the problem with someone else boring your gear?

I've been the "borrowing" party on more than one occasion.. i always aksed them, if i can change the sound-settings, i didn't put any glasses with fluids on them.

I'd also always let someone else borrow my amp, i don't really see a problem.
  16. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The problem is that many people just turn up without gear (lazy) or turn up EXPECTING to use another acts gear.

I, for one, will NOT lend out my gear. It's taken years and a lot of money to get the equipment I want and I'm buggered if someone else is gonna get the benefit of it....

It also saves on arguments and any potential disasters (misuse etc) to just say "no"...
  17. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've already tried this several times (and the offer's still on :)). The deal is that bands using my rig must gather 100€. This way I figure out I can make my own "insurance found" for repairing it when something breaks. No other band I ever played with accepted since I implemented this "system" (so many lazy punks hanging around). So generally I end up putting my rig just for me or using some piece of crap just because 4 or 5 idiots didn't want to gather such an amount for a decent rig. Do you know how insanely expensive is to rent some backline here? Obviously their primitive minds don't go that far as to think such a thing so in the end I'm just "the mean avaricious jerk". F-them!

P/S: One time, one of these characters asked for MY BASS!!!! I answered: "yes, of course you can have it; in fact, you can also have MY WIFE, she's supposed to be here any minute!!!!" (I should have taken a photo of his face).
  18. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I have this feeling I know where you are talking about. When I was there, someone managed to mangle the bell on my trumpet, WHILE IT WAS IN THE CASE. Their job was to move the instruments, in their cases, likewise, from the Gazebo to the Big Shell. When my sister opened hers, the bell was damaged, as if it had been dropped from playing height. Why was the trumpet out of the case to begin with? Why had whoever dropped it, put it back in the case and left it? Grr. People.

Luckily, it led to me getting a new, better trumpet. But still.
  19. The last time I lent out my OLD amp... it came back with a 1/4" plug broken off inside the passive jack. That would be the last time anything of mine gets lent out ever. EVER. The savages are going to have to fend for themselves, and I'll be willing to haul all my gear to any gig, anywhere.
  20. Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is always a rough situation. Not bringing bass gear is one thing, but what if their gear ****s out while they're playing? Maybe I've got too much Minnesota Nice in me, but I've lent out my gear far too many times when this happens. I try to think of myself in that cats shoes. On the other hand, one handy way out of this situation is just tell them to run direct and use the monitors for stage volume. Problem solved.