You Know You’ve Been Off For Awhile When...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Jun 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    A thread dedicated to returning to playing. What went wrong or right, things forgotten and remembered.

I’ll start...
    7808AFA8-E2F3-46B6-9637-473E1B74D229.jpeg
    Thought I was in shape but two sets and I have a blood blister. Oh well, we sounded good and I got a good solo off in the second set.

wmhill, BassCliff and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It’s why I use an LH1000. Few can get louder, and I can always turn up if my fingers start getting beat.

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My experience has been different. For the past few years most of our shows have been sit-down gigs. Good for the geetar player's back & my neck issues. All my downtime practice has been done sitting. I tried a couple standing practices but it got uncomfortable for my neck quickly. Ironically, the 1st 3 gigs back have all been standing gigs.

The good news for me is I've had no neck pain standing and my geetar player says the same. Luckily I already had the callouses.:D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    StyleOverShow and JRA like this.
  4. Fingers haven't been so much of a problem, but shoulder pain has been. I've had rotator cuff surgery and subsequent additional injury to that side since then, so maybe that's why. Could have been an impingement of some sort also.

I've been practicing a lot lately just to get the shoulder used to the strain. I tend to get more of a nerve pinch pain at certain angles and positions on the neck. Variety of wide/padded straps didn't fix it, just had to put time in the saddle to tighten things up. Also picked up a lightweight EBMM Sterling, and replaced tuners with lightweight stingray versions.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    First gig back after the 14-month layoff, drummer comes up to me at the end of the night and says "I'd forgotten how hard I have to hit those things!"

StyleOverShow likes this.
  6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I had forgotten how to play a song that I had written.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

....I couldn't remember the lyrics to "Wagon Wheel". :roflmao:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

StyleOverShow, Kevorargh and wmhill like this.
  8. City

City Supporting Member

so long that I end up playing guitar again in an acoustic electric duo.. Hope it is not against the rules but I still miss playing bass but love singing and playing. I have been shocking people. They thought I was just a bass player.

And so long that I bought a mandolin and am learning it quickly.

so long that there is dust on my favorite bass

I could go on........

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    MynameisMe and StyleOverShow like this.
  9. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    I will return to live gigs in August , and I already know that by the third set .....this guy , will need to play while sitting . I can feel the back and shoulder pain already .

10. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    You might try the Gruv Gear Duo Strap:

DuoStrap Neo

or

https://www.amazon.com/Gruv-Gear-DUOSTRAP-NEO-BLK-DuoStrap-Black/dp/B00DGCM91W/

for shoulder and neck pains. I tried one years ago. I probably still have it tucked away somewhere. I'm 6' 2" (1.9m) tall and felt that I could not get my instruments to hang down low enough. It looks as though they have added more optional extensions since then. They take some getting used to. I think they are really intended for basses and guitars with the long upper horn. If my memory is accurate, I could not get it to work well with my Guild M-85 or my acoustic guitar or acoustic bass-guitar. I believe they have a thirty day money back guarantee, so it is worth a try.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021