1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You know you are in the wrong band when...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Mar 24, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    This could be fun...

Realized the other night that Im probably with the wrong group of people when I started playing a good funky groove and everyone just stood there and looked at me like I have two heads...

and as an FYI, this is supposed to be a jam band..meaning the other people should be able to, well, jam..

2. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

....The drummer can't maintain a beat to save his life, the singer is screwing the BL/Guitarist and the BL/guitarist is a genuine egomaniac. True story.

3. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    You know you are in the wrong band when......
    nobody noticed your bass signal was dead through nearly an entire song and you just acted like you were playing to see if they would ever notice.

4. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I was in a band where they kept telling me to turn it down. Eventually I turned it off and no one complained. That was my last gig with them.

5. powmetalbassist

Gab that describes 95% of bands man.

6. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    True Dat :(

7. what glock and pow said,,, I've been in 26 bands and what an interesting road its been....

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    when.......
    The gui****/bl says i dont want to play that song because i didnt come up with it and i just cant get behind it, so lets play this one ive been working on instead.
    when.......
    You tell the singer we have 4 weeks till our first big show, you need to clean up and finish the lyrics to the songs.
    Then show comes and shes making it up as she goes and embarrassing the band by doing it poorly.
    When.......
    The bl/gui**** shows up at the show and tells the rest of the band that every other band is better than us and were going to suck.

9. powmetalbassist

Tajue, please do share...

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Oh yeah and this one too
    Spend hours recording a few demos and i ask wheres the bass? And the reply is.....
    You dont need to hear the bass, you just need to have a presence of it in the background.

11. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Nov 6, 2010
    Played a show once and had no bass signal running through the PA the entire first song. The only 2 people who noticed? The soundman and myself. I had told the guy during soundcheck my line out didn't work half the time but he blew me off like I didn't know what I was talking about. Sure enough after the first song here he comes running to the stage, mic in hand. Pretty much told myself after that little episode that this show is going to suck and proceeded to drink with wreckless abandon.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    When nobody dances, cares you are there or you clear the place out.

13. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    when you find yourself ask the gui****/singer/writer who plays so loud and with so much bass in his sound that it takes over every thing ...why do you even have a bass player?

14. mru2

mru2

Jan 17, 2009
    Los Angeles Area
    When the two gui****s have set up four amps and fourteen speakers between them across the stage, including a second PA just for them. Then tell me I have to turn down because I'm causing noise cancelling with my 2-12 cab. :eek:

15. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Drummer told me, after a couple months of weekly rehearsals, that not only could he not hear what I was playing, but he had never heard what I was playing. He knew I was "good", though, by watching my hands!

16. When your rhythm guitarist has got three power chords and the truth, your lead guitarist's only goal in life is to play the same sucky solo on every song, your singer can't hold a tune, and you're uncertain who the drummer is but all three of them can't keep a basic beat.

The two guitarists claimed to have gigged back when they lived in San Diego and didn't know each other. I don't know how.

Sadly, in a town of 1500 people it's hard to quit anything. Who else are you gonna play with?

17. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I think my funniest was when the drummer for this particular act just went outside mid-song at rehearsal and sat in the gutter and refused to talk to anyone for no apparent reason. I packed up my gear and went home and didn't come back.

18. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    When the band wants to sound tight" or be the best band, but no one can make practice. Manage to make all the shows and stumble their way through it.

19. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    When you have to keep the sucky irresponsible douchy rhythm guitarist because he's the only one with a van...

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    LoL