1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You know you belong in this corner of Talkbass if...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Means2nEnd, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Was talking with my building partner last night and laughing at some of these. If you feel like adding to it please do so and everyone have a safe and great holiday and may your tools be full of fresh fallen sawdust.

1. Your GAS for basses is almost nonexistent but you keep paper towels around your computer to wipe drool off your keyboard from looking up figured woods.

2. The paper towels around your keyboard ore only used for that.

3. The blisters on the edges of your thumbs from sanding are bigger than the ones you had on your fingertips when you first started learning to play bass.

4. Almost every pair of jeans or t shirts have some sort of dried glue on them

5. Your wife or husband complains about everything you own in storage is covered in sawdust

6. FedEx and UPS drivers know you by name

7. Your shop vac is nicer than your regular vacuum cleaner

8. When you blow your nose you can remember what type of wood you were sanding by what’s in your tissue

9. Your woodworking tools are worth more than your cars

10. Every time you go to Lowe’s or Home Depot you buy some sand paper if you need it or not…wait I always need it

11. You can quote Bruce Johnson verbatim

12. Your own basses need more work than the ones you are fixing for someone else

13. Any towel in the laundry that gets the smallest hole in it goes right to the shop

14. You smell like naptha

15. Large wooden furniture in your house is looking more and more like a bass

16. You have 7463 Allen wrenches and no idea where they all came from

17. You go through thoughts of “I got this” to “I suck” to “I’m pretty good at this” back to “what am I doing” within 3 minutes in the shop

18. You get mad looking for tools for 20 minutes you just had in your hand and you know it’s your fault

19. You have tool envy

20. You actually read all these

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Damn.

I'm not a builder but I am a professional lurker :)

I read all of them. That counts for something right?

Thanks to all the fine crafts people in this corner of the forums I have been cataloging the woods I want with the configuration I want with the electronics I want so that if I ever decide to build, or have built, a bass I will be armed and dangerous :D

So far my list looks like this:

5 string Jazz body with a bit of a Ken Smith tail end to it made of Mahogany and with either 1a) a Holly top or 1b) as white as it can be Maple with as much waves/clouds seen from the window seat of an airplane to it as possible.

Maple neck with a bloodwood finger board.

Bloodwood accents.

Nordstrand big singles in a passive VVT config.

Someday :)

In the mean time I'll continue to marvel at you folks, dream and drool ... or drool and dream ...

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yep. Especially #11. I often quote myself when answering my own questions. And I get confused by the source.

4. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Most of these describe me quite well.

5. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    So much truth.

6. way too close to the truth.

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    The truth hurts. Except I never use naphtha.

8. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If you spend more time building than playing.

maxresdefault.

9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I did read all of the '20 truths' about being on Luthiers Corner and identify with some but not all. Let's see… here's one - 21. How will I justify another 'project' bass… :rolleyes:

kaoskater08 likes this.
  10. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Oh my this one is eeeeeaaazy! I have all these extra pickups, tuners, bridges to something and some woods I can glue together. Then I'll sell it to buy better random parts from the classified section to do this again in 2 months.

Will_White, kaoskater08 and JIO like this.
  11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    wait a minute… are you saying this is an obsession? ;)

12. Yaal

Yaal

Feb 12, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    #15 made me laugh cause I thought I was the only one weird enough to think about things like this :)

vishalicious and ronaldpdbrandt like this.
  13. I have one:
    You don't realise that you are wearing your "better clothes" until you're in the shop, covered in sawdust.
    I "accidentally" also spray painted my black leather shoes. They have a mint green hue now...

Will_White and Old Blastard like this.
  14. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Have you been spying on me?!?!?!?

All true!

15. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I don't build basses, but I've often experienced #17 on a sub gig...

16. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I agree! And it's not just in my house, either. I've been trying to figure out a way to steal some of the doors in the school where I work for years!

17. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    When every wood you see looks like a bass. Also, when every nice piece of woodwork you see seems like a waste because it's not an instrument. A mahogany desk? You, sir, are an $##&÷)×. My wife's furniture is in real danger, even the stuff I built.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'd add: You can't look at a piece of antique walnut furniture without immediately thinking: "Is that just veneer - or is it solid?"

19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    ...or you can't help but thunk a nice thick piece of wood with your knuckle regardless of what state it's in (raw, furniture, architectural detail) or where it is to determine if it could be tone-wood.

20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Definition of obsession

1 a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling; broadly : compelling motivation <an obsession with profits

2 something that causes an obsession

...persistent maybe, but disturbing? - me, I'm not disturbed by it at all! …often unreasonable idea? - occasionally unreasonable?… so being creative (having an idea) is unreasonable? - it's like someone saying you have an "overactive imagination" when the fact is that most people have no imagination whatsoever. ...compelling motivation - check ...obsession with profits --- :laugh: …something that causes an obsession - anything's possible.

You know you belong in this 'corner' of tb when you google 'obsession' and the side bar displays tools from StewMac…

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Will_White likes this.