Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

you like g-strings dontcha...yeah you do....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Toony, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    ...heheh. anyhow i'm sure this subject has came up far to many times, and sadly it doesn't have anything to do with girls in g-strings. but...i'm wondering, what strings do you use mostly? i know most of us use different sets for different basses, but just in general....what strings?

i'm currently using d'addario half-rounds on my btb and so far i love the sound i'm getting. i'm sure once i grow as a player i may switch but this is my thing for now. anyhow, yous?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    D'Addarios. First it was XL's, then I switched to Slowounds. They are nice strings, but next time I buy strings I will try something else - the only way to find your perfect set is to try them all!

My gauges of choice would be 45, 65, 85, 105.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm still working on trying everything in sight. I currently have Dean Markley Fretmasters on one bass (.044-.098), Danelectro Vintage Tone on another (.045-.100), and Slowounds on another (.050-.105). So far, I don't really prefer one brand over another, except that I probably won't buy any more D'Addarios, and the Dean Markleys I've had have been consistently good. I just bought some Dean Markley Superrounds and Elite Stadium Series from ebay sellers, so they're coming up when my current strings die.

I've found that most strings (except for the really cheap ones) are pretty good. The Danelectros listed above are surprisingly good and have lasted me about 6 weeks so far. I got the Fretmasters on sale, and they sound somewhat similar to Lo-Riders, but with less finger noise.

While I like a bargain, it's not my sole criteria. I've also tried Roto 77's, TI Jazz Flats, and other semi-expensive strings. I haven't yet been impressed enough by any one string to use it exclusively, though I'll probably try the TI Flats again on the MIA Precision I have coming.