Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You love this(Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    John Patitucci bass is hot,i see he playing it this monday in Bass Clinics here in Puerto Rico,i can,t wait. :hyper:

[​IMG]

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't get the thread, but that is a sexy bass.

What kind of pickups are those?

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    FUGLY!!

Seriously though, I don't like Yahamas ever so I guess I'm biased. I don't like his tone, and that's not biased.

-Eric.

4. Patitucci is amazing though.

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    those are yamaha pickups.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I know, but I mean are they J's or what?

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like it! If it was a 5 I would like it more :)

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Inlays, headstock and overall vibe it gives off seems crappy.

What really turns me off is how it gets carved in on the lower horn, like 1/2'' of the bass is hacked out, and I think it makes it look lame.

My 0.02$

-Rob

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A friend has the "production" version of John's bass (I don't remember if its name is TRB-6 or TRB-6JP). It sounds terrific IMO. I don't like 6 strings basses so I've never been interested on these instruments, but something I really dislike from this bass is that the top of the instrument in the lower horn area (below the C string) is "lower" (or "deeper") than the rest of the body and that's so uncomfortable! I recently said in a post that I've always liked pickguardless basses but I'm starting to like pickguards because they're a big help on popping strings and this bass is exactly the opposite to that.

10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    A lot of people feel the opposite, including me. I think more space makes for easier popping. I would guess that is the reason for this cutout. Doesn't Victor Wooten have a fodera with a big scoop at the same spot for the same reason too?

11. John Patituci's playing is nothing short of spectacular, and contrary to some "biased" opinions...there's nothing wrong with his tone, either.

Some people don't like Chick Corea's music...that's fine...I dig it...and players like Chick, John, and Dave (Weckle) are IMO...AMAZING!

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'll have to say, if you don't like Patitucci's playing, there is something wrong! :crying:

But his tone is also great imo

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think it has to do with fingers' thickness. If your fingers are really thick, obviously a pickguard will make popping awkward. In my case, the pickguard helps to prevent my middle finger to dig so deep under the strings. I was used to that with my pickguardless Carvin, but the Bongo's pickguard made popping so much easier.

14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Patitucci Yamaha bass is not a slapping bass,this bass was made for finger speed style playing,very speedy finger style for been specific,as John deliver in his records and shows,is a bass for deliver fast arpeggios.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it were a five, it might look more like this.

16. Man, I just lost one of the most amazing suppers I have ever had, thanks to Yamaha.

Thanks Yamaha, I wont get another meal like that in a long time... hopefully ill be able to keep my next on down!

~Ryan

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    dooesn't yamaha make dirt bikes, and and outboard motors?

18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I like the bass and the person who's signature graces it very much! :cool:

19. yamaha also makes very nice basses with top notch construction