Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You mean there are instruments besides BASS?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, May 10, 2002.

1. We know that a lot of realbass players double on electric, and we know that a couple of regulars here play piano.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the other instruments double bassists play professionally or semi-professionally or just for fun?

My miscellaneous instrument of choice is the chromatic harmonica. I guess after hearing that stupid joke enough times about the thing being easier to carry finally sunk in.

I'm no Toots Thielemans (who is?), but it's fun to take it to informal jazz sessions and noodle around. And it fits in my pocket.

2. I play double bass, guitar, bass guitar, drums. im best at basses. but id realy love to learn the ukalali. doese anyone play the ukalali?

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've played tenor guitar (4 strings, of course!), to switch off bass during folkie periods on and off over the years, and enjoyed played the tuba for some union gigs in my earlier years.

4. I play the electric mostly, because the band's genre requires it, but my true love is the upright. For some reason I've also ended up an accordian player (try it, if you think the upright is a challenge) and a guitar player.

I am dying to learn the ukelele, fiddle, and banjo, as well.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Not surprisingly, in my neighborhood, EVERYONE plays ukulele; old aunties, kids, poi dogs, everyone. They are great fun, and I recommend everybody get one. For a real treat, check out this kid from Oahu named Jake Shimabukura. He's the new thang on uke, and he's bad. For more old school stuff, there's Lyle Ritz, a great jazz ukist, and Peter Moon, and Kelly Boy (from the band Kapena) for more traditional stuff. They're all great. When I toured Japan with Willie K, he always carried a little Kamaka uke, and played it in restaurants, train stations, etc., to the amazement of everyone. He bad too.

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Electric bass, *tuba, baritone, euphonium, bass trombone, bass trombone, flute, piccolo, guitar, keyboard percussion instruments (xylaphone, marimba, etc.), other concert percussion (no drum set), anything else I put my mind to...

except for a reed instrument. I can't play a reed for the life of me. I need to work on that.

*tuba is my main musical instrument

Nick

7. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    While, I'm the DB guy in my folk/swing group, I also play guitar (but not onstage as there are two good players in my band - plus somebody has to hold down the bottom end) I also play banjo, pennywhistle, mandolin, harmonica, and, yes, the ukulele (which I would like to get better at because it's a hoot)

8. Flute

just for fun - Lord knows, if you heard me you'd understand why nobody in their right mind would pay me to play... come to think of it, the same could be said about My Bass... :(

- perhaps I could get them to pay me not to play - now there's a thought...

- Wil

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Besides bass, I currently only play piano. But in previous lives, I also at some time played: Guitar, French Horn, Trumpet, and Clarinet. The great part of the story is that, as a youngster, playing the Clarinet started to push my upper front teeth out, making me look somewhat "BUCKY". A couple of years on French Horn in the local youth orchestra pushed them right back where they belonged, so much so that my parents decided not to spend the money on braces after all.

Truth is stranger than fiction....

10. well, to say I play them would be an insult to people who really do play, so I'll say that, besides the usual array of guitars and basses, at one time or another I've "owned" a banjo, hammered dulcimer, celtic harp, cedar flute and the little white plastic Casio keyboard that does the drum sound in that "dah dah dah" song by Trio.

11. The past month I would have to call myself a guitar player.

12. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I grew up playing woodwinds in school (clarinet, sax) and was a sax performance major in college for a couple of years. I can also play some flute. Bass was always my "escape" instrument, sort of like guitar is for Samuel, no rules, don't have to be great or make a living at it, just fun. I got so burned out on sax that I have played winds very little over the past 8-10 years and have really only played bass. I played electric only until last year when I got a real bass, and now I hardly touch the EB. Since getting my double bass, I've practiced regularly for the first time since college, and it's FUN.

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Clarinet, ts, Washtub bass, fiddle. Just bought a slab, not sure what to do with it...

14. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    "Just bought a slab, not sure what to do with it..."

two thoughts:
    1.) fire place
    2.) wood shop project to make a table lamp

I had slab once it whipped me soundly!

Just trying to help.

Joe

15. robw

robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    Started with clarinet in grade school, and didn't go far. At 11 I picked up guitar and played garage bands through high school and college. Fooled around on electric bass occasionally. Picked up double bass about 5 years ago, admittedly out of the swing resurgence, and fell in love. I still play guitar frequently, but consider my main study to be double bass.

I like to fool with most any string instrument as I get the time and opportunity; lap steel, banjo, mandolin, ukelele, etc. I messed with harmonica with little success but haven't given up on the idea. My wife plays drums, and I sit in on those occasionally too at an impromptu jam session when it really doesn't matter.

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I play as much guitar as I do bass. I also play trumpet and some drums (wouldn't call myself a drummer). I started out on clarinet, but haven't gone back in a while.

I have yet to tackle any keyboard instrument with serious intent. But it's on the to-do list.

17. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Upright bass, natch...

Electric bass guitar
    Didjeridoo
    Violin
    Viola
    Hadgini Udu
    Djembe

...and I have dabbled with mandolin and harmonica.

18. Answer correctly, and I'll send you a free pizza (The pizza's free, but you pay travel expenses.):
    Tony Bennet recorded Sweet Lorraine, accompanied by ukelele; who was the ukelele player?

19. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Hey Don, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

BOBBY HACKETT - :smug:

You won't have to send that pizza too far.

I'm in Closter, NJ We just had Uncle Toad Phil himself visiting the other night. Had a great hang.

BG

20. My Martin 1 soprano. I have a few ukes;)
    [​IMG]