Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You might be right, I may be crazy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, Aug 10, 2004.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    Hello everyone.

i used to use a groove tubes preamp, but i could never get it to cut through very well. so in my search for better sound i discovered that the preamp of my peavey deltablues (tube amp) sounded really good. what possesed me to try this is beyond me, but long story short i had a local tech make me a preamp that was the clean channel of the delta blues(with a compressor circuit added) i love it. not very tweakable (i believe passive tone controls) but very clean and believe it or not very even and hi fi sounding. just wondering if anyone else has a similar crazy component in their rig.

2. i've never had anything like that in my rig, but i found the clean channel of a triple XXX 212 combo i have in the lab sounds pretty nice with the fury VI i have in the lab.

depending upon the design objectives for any particular piece of gear, there's no reason why they can't be used interchangeably. for example, many guitar players love the fender bassman. i've heard david gilmour only plays through bass amps because of the crispy clean tone.

robb.

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Mines not quite as crazy. On gigs where I need distortion I've been running the preamp out from my eden Pre into a crossover then into either a fender DeVille, or a BD-2 - poweramp and an SWR 8X8. Both setups work quite nicely and sound completely different. It's a lot of stuff to carry though.

Not quite as crazy.

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I made myself a preamp out of a boutique (if you could call it that) opamp. cleanest, quietest thing in terms of noise I have ever heard in my life. Even better, it only takes up half a rack space. Oh, and my tube preamp is almost finished. It will take up a whole rack space. But yeah, it has more tubes than alembic f1-x, has a di out, gain and volume settings and didn't cost me $1000. Sounds almost as good, if not as good. Alls I gotta do is bung i in a rack enclosure and hook up some sort of eq.

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    that's cool. my pre only has one tube in it and it's not really a looker, just an aluminum project box with five knobs mounted in my rack. hell the knobs aren't even labeled.