1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"You need a 5 for that" : Great basslines that take you below D1?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by topo morto, Oct 8, 2013.

1. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    There's a lot of stuff that you have to drop to D for, but what obvious classic basslines / basslines from great songs take us below that?

More interesting if it's something not too obscure, and originally played on a bass guitar, rather than a synth.

2. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Misery Business is a great song with a great bassline by Paramore, and while modern, it's much easier to play on a five than a 4. Another would be Fully Alive by Flyleaf.

3. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I think that Copperhead Road by Steve Earle has a low C at one point. I always loved building that song up by palm muting and then going to all out plucking.

Also, many newer country songs have a low C thrown in here and there. I think Brooks and Dunn's Play Something Country has a low C or two. Not the most sophisticated of bass lines, but fun all the same.

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Hittin' the Note Allman Brothers, the whole thing. Oteil Burbridge how it's done.

5. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    I realize you want to know of well-known stuff. But I don't pay much attention to what's on the radio.

I use the low C and even B a LOT in Gospel and church music. In a live setting, I generally don't ride the B-string, but I do hit a big fat low C when it fits the music. I might not even go below an E till that one note, but I'm glad it's there. I use a D-tuner on a 4 string as well, but generally, I get much better results with any one of my really great 5 or 6 strings.

This track is an exception to my statement above; I play the B-string a LOT, and I use an octave pedal on several sections. But it works in a way that a regular 4 string, or even a down-tuned 4 wouldn't. (use some decent phones...)

http://desertspringschurch.bandcamp.com/track/psalm-20

You can also hear some B-string goodness in the link in my signature. Beware of a long drum-solo intro, though...

6. "It's my life" by Bon Jovi is in C minor and Hugh uses the low C constantly.
    I remember playing it on a 4 string once, I simply had forgotten to bring my 5 to the gig, and it sounded awfully thin.

7. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Slipknot — Before I Forget, Think it's got a couple of low B's in there!

8. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    This is harder then I thought!

9. The whole Blotted Science album. Great basslines, and it's in drop A. Also, on a complete different genre, anything Al Cisneros did with Sleep, though he used a 4 string tuned CFA#D#.

Are there any other notes in that song?

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    How about Wisky in the Jaro?

11. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    A few good tracks on blood sugar sex magik where the B string makes an appearance

12. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Despite using my B string a lot, I'm finding it hard to think of many occasions where I go lower than D... This is really distracting me from doing my work... The boss is going to love me today!

13. Freestyler

Freestyler

Mar 5, 2010
    Belgium
    From the top of my head :
    Toto - Animal (low b)
    Jean Michel Jarre - Calypso Part I (from the album 'En Attendant Cousteau') (low c)

Although the JMJ bass line is played with a synth, it sounds really great with an electric bass ; and it is very groovy.

14. Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret by Queens of the Stone Age needs a few notes from the B string. I suspect a lot of their stuff is like that.

15. I'm being Captain Obvious by mentioning Dream Theater here, but my favorite bassline by them is the intro to Lifting Shadows Off A Dream which requires not only the low B string, but also the high C string.

16. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Loads of Paramore stuff is easier with a 5 string. Fences has a great bass line as does Crush, Crush, Crush. I think Jeremy Davis strings his basses in either C# standard or C#, G#, C#, F#. Please don't quote me on that! A tuning like this gives you that C# to ride! It is in that sort of area though. If you look at some of his rig rundown videos on Youtube you can see that he is using something is the area of a .120, .100, .080, .060 string set on his 4 string Fender and Gibson basses.

Sorry for the slight de-rail!

17. markbmbass

markbmbass

Apr 19, 2012
    Get Lucky by Daft Punk. You can drop the E to D, but works better on a 5 for the octaves.

18. FuManChu

FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Not to derail or complicate things even more, but how many of the songs with notes below D are actually played on a 5 string vs a 4 string tuned lower than D1?

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    "You need a 5 for that" : Great basslines that take you below D1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much everything by collective soul ...

20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I don't think 5 strings are really that necessary with the songs that have been mentioned on this thread (or any other songs for that matter). Downtuning to C on a four string can usually get the job done if you need those low notes.